Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarah1004 Posts: 107, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Calculate the empirical formula of the compound.
    A sample of 2.12g copper was heated in oxygen. The resulting oxide weighed 2.65g. Calculate the empirical formula of the compound.

Please help me, I know how to figure out empirical formula(another normal) but not this question.
    I need help.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 05:01 PM

First you need to know the reaction -- at least half of it

The weight of the oxide is 2.65 grams. The difference in weight is 2.65 g-2.12 g = 0.53 g. Since you know that this is an oxide (the problem said so), you can safely assume that the 0.53 grams is oxygen. Note that we are not using MOLES of oxygen (O2), but gram-atoms of O.

The copper-to-oxygen ratio is, therefore

Therefore, the copper-to-oxygen ratio is approximately 1. The empirical formula will, therefore, be CuO.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemistry- Formula Of A Compound [ 3 Answers ]

What is the formula for copper (II) sulfide? And why? Same with lead (II) bromide? I don't understand this and I'm getting different answers everywhere I turn.

Empirical Formula [ 1 Answers ]

When I write an empirical formula, sometimes I have 1.5 of C for example, do I put it 1 or 2 Thanks

What is the molecular formula of the compound? [ 1 Answers ]

A compound used in glue has a composition of 54.5% C, 9.1% H, and 36.4% O. At 100 degrees Celsius and 1.00 atm, the compound is a gas and 0.345 g occupies a volume of 120.0 ml. What is the molecular formula of the compound?

Formula to calculate retained earnings? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking for a formula to calculate retained earnings and I have found so many that I am unsure what to use? Can anyone help or at least tell me if one the ones listed below is correct? Assets – Liabilities = Retained Earnings Owners Equity = Capital stock+retained earnings assets –...

View more questions Search