Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fishing1940 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Exploding Furnace
    Approximately, once a week, I hear an explosion (similar to an M-80 firecracker) coming from my home's furnace area. I think its my Carrier furnace. The unit is about 30 yrs. Old. When the furnace is told to heat the house (via the thermostat), the furnace fires up, then the fan comes on, and while the fan in working, the furnace fire goes out for aboat 10 seconds then refires. This happens until the set temperature is reached. Is this the way a furnace is supposed to work?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 05:54 PM

No, that is not normal. It could be a number of things,maybe a gas valve going bad,gas pressure issue or even dirty burners.

Either way, I strongly suggest shutting the furnace down and getting a pro out to take a look or the next explosion you hear could be your house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exploding light bulb [ 5 Answers ]

The lightbulb in my hallway ceiling fixture stopped working. When I tried to replace it the light bulb came off in my hand but the base is still in the ceiling fixture. Any way to get the base out without electrocuting myself? Unfortunately my breaker boxes are not marked and I have no idea...

Exploding basement toilet. [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! My husband and I have been trying to deal with our exploding toilet problem for almost a year now and nobody can seem to give us a straight answer! We live in northern Quebec where the winters can get to be around -40F. Our house is a 2 story with a Mother-in-Law apartment in the basement....

Exploding battery [ 8 Answers ]

A few months ago I was in my kitchen when there was a massive BANG, I then noticed a nail on the floor surrounded by blue powder. We were dumbfounded for a while trying to figure out where this nail had exploded out of. It turns out a battery had exploded from the back of my clock. I called the...

Exploding muffler . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1985 Dodge Ram 350 pick-up truck with a 4 speed transmission and the muffler explodes when I let up on the gas while slowing down. What is causing that to happen and how do I fix it.

Exploding stomachs [ 2 Answers ]

Can a fish stomach explode?

View more questions Search