Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laxgoalie77 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
    What instrument should I play
    I play the trombone and baritone. And a little of the trumpet. I'm pretty good at trombone this year ill be doing a level 5 nyssma solo. I want to start play another brass instrument. Any thoughts on what I should pick?
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 26, 2009, 02:19 PM

How about the sax?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Hi, laxgoalie77!

What year are you in school, please? That is, if you're in school.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockie100 View Post
    How about the sax?
    Hi, rockie100!

Even though modern saxophones might be made of brass, saxophones are in the woodwind, or "wind" section of a band. That's mainly because in order to produce the tones, the players use a reed in order to do that.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2009, 12:23 PM

I'm in ninth grade
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Hi again, laxgoalie77!

Do you plan on going to college someday? Playing certain kinds of instruments can help to be a persons' "ticket" for going to college. I.e. - more likely to get a scholarship because of the type of instrument that's played.

I started playing the organ at a very young age. In fourth grade I started on the violin. In fifth, then the trumpet. In seventh grade I started the tuba. In ninth grade, in addition to playing the tuba, I took up playing the French Horn. When I was a junior in high school, I started playing the string bass. I've played the piano, it seems like forever, but didn't actually have "real" piano lessons until I was in college.

Playing the tuba helped me to get into college. Coilleges with band programs are generally really looking for good players on the following brass and woodwind instruments: tuba, baritone, trombone, oboe, English Horn, bass clarinet and bassoon.

My suggestion would be for you to try taking up tuba playing. But, your teacher would know if that instrument is really right for you, or not.

Your also more likely to get gigs later where you can make money, if you play a bass instrument of some kind.

I love to play the tuba! But, the only real disadvantage for me with it, is carrying it around!

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2009, 05:50 PM

I'm considering starting to play the oboe but I own a soprano sax and I'm not very good at it so do you think I could be a decent oboe player
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Hi again, laxgoalie77!

Whether you'll be good at it or not will depend on how good the instruction is that you get for playing it as well as how much you practice and assimilate the instruction that you've received into the way that you practice.

I have really no idea how you really play at the present time on any instrument. If you could post a sound file of you playing something on a site that allows you to do so, I can give you an idea as to how well you're able to play.

Generally, if you want to specialize in playing certain instruments, it's best to keep to just a few that are related in some way.

For instance, a few of the main instruments that I play are the piano, string bass and various percussion instruments. Those are all related in that they have more so to do with rhythmic inovations than melodic ones. Playing the tuba might also be considered to be a rhythm instrument, depending on the type of music that's being played.

The oboe adds the seventh harmonic to a concert band or orchestra. It's a very essential instrument because of the "color" that it adds to those types of ensembles. No other instrument, other than the English Horn, provide that type of color. There might be some others, but they are rarely used. However, the oboe is very much an instrument having to do with melodic inovations rather than rhythmic ones. It's also one of the most difficult ones to master.

Again, I would suggest that you check out trying to play the tuba.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laxgoalie77 View Post
    im considering starting to play the oboe but i own a soprano sax and im not very good at it so do you think i could be a decent oboe player
    By the way, the saxophone family of instruments would be the easiest to play of all the woodwind instruments. They use a single reed and the fingering from one of them to the other is very similar.

Thanks!
    lojo 54321 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 04:02 AM

If your good with brass then the sax is definitely for you.
    It's a challenging instrument but is exciting because of this
    I have been playing it for 2 yrs and love it
    Also, have you ever thought about non-brass instruments?

Nov 3, 2009, 01:42 PM

I do play the sax actually, but the only non-brass instrument I've been thinking about is the oboe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

Name of instrument [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of the instrument which enable us to know the distance travelled.

Optical drives play cds, but won't play most dvds [ 1 Answers ]

Both of my optical drives will play cds, games etc. but most of the time when I pop in a dvd, I get a message from Microsoft saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close, and the dvd will not play. The error number is 1000. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! ...

View more questions Search