Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gallianola Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Cover paneling with wall paper
    :o I have paneling on my walls from the 70's. I'd like to fill the spaces, cracks and holes then cover with wallpaper. I've been told to fill the spaces, cracks and holes with something that doesn't shrink. I know very little about this. Anyone have a suggestion as to what product I should use?
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Nov 5, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gallianola
    :o I have paneling on my walls from the 70's. I'd like to fill the spaces, cracks and holes then cover with wallpaper. I've been told to fill the spaces, cracks and holes with something that doesn't shrink. I know very little about this. Anyone have a suggestion as to what product I should use?
    First put a primer on the paneling grooves & seams (to reduce the slick surface). Then apply conventional wall compound to fill the grooves. When the compound is dry, sand smooth (get a pad type hand sander at a home improvement store). After sanding smooth, apply another coat primer to seal the wall compound & paneling. Then apply the wallpaper.

Cheers, Tom
    caesars charm Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Nov 5, 2006, 11:20 PM
    I have tried putting wallpaper over panalling over the years and it seams like whatever you do with those cracks it always shows up somewhere. Never did get a good job. From experience! If I were you I would try putting something else on your walls.
    gallianola Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gallianola
    Thank you to all who responded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireproof paneling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, In my office I've wood paneling (8' x 4' x 1/8'') dark oak Type II (info taken from the back of the panel). I need to know if these paneling is fire rated or fire proofed, or how to know when a panel if fire proofed? A favor of a reply is appreciated. Tom

Wood paneling [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a house with ugly brown wood panneling :( For a cost effective solution (for now) instead of ripping it down, can we paint it? How about white washing it? Would white washing it make it look more like birch? We have the northwoods theme going on so that might work. ANy advice...

Paneling a bathroom.. need help [ 1 Answers ]

Do I panel before or after my sink tub and shower get installed?thanks

Painting Paneling [ 4 Answers ]

I have very dark paneling I want to paint, am not sure what paint to use or how to prime it. Also can I make it look less like paneling once I paint it? Thank you

View more questions Search