Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LifeAfterYou Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Oct 26, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Is height such a big deal?
    Hey I was just wondering if height is really such a big deal in dating and in love. I have talked to many girls and asked them out and they say that they wouldn't date a guy shorter than them.

I am 5"10 and i feel kind of short around lots of people. Everywhere i go, i see guys and girls over 6 foot. I mean i would like to be taller than the girls i date but it just seems like people are so tall these days.

Anyways what i would like to know is, is height really that important in the dating life? Is 5"10 too short for a guy and the reason why my dating life is a little bit slower than most people?
    Jayjay027 Posts: 153, Reputation: 31

Oct 26, 2009, 11:59 AM

No 5'10 is a perfectly reasonable height for a guy.
    The girls who won't date you because of your height are shallow, and you're better without them.

I once dated a guy who was smaller than me, and I'm only 5'3!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
    It's not that you are short, it's that everyone around you is tall. Do you only hang around places with basketball players or something?

You don't need to be someone who's going to judge you by your height, that's definitely a shallow attitude. But at the same time, it's still personal preference. Some people just prefer dating a taller guy/girl.

What you said is a generalization though. Not everyone cares about height. You just haven't met the right people yet.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
    5'10" is a great height. I wouldn't even worry about it. I'm 5'7" and I dated a guy who was 5'7" for a couple of years - even wore heels around him. It didn't bother either of us - we were having too much fun together to care.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 12:32 PM

Don't worry about it-it's fine-I'm 5'7 and none of my longterm partners have been taller than 5'9.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 12:39 PM

I know a couple,she is head and shoulders above her husband and loves to wear heels, when you first see them together they look a little odd,but it does not take to long to discover his personality is huge!

He is so confident and has never had a problem dating very beautiful women,his wife is stunning...

My point is,height does not matter to most people,but if you are pointing it out and harping on about it, it becomes much more noticeable.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 12:44 PM

I have to ask where you go that you feel short. I think 5'10" is the average height of Americans (although I'm not sure if that is where you live).

Next time a girl says that to you, just reply with, "Well that's fine because I wouldn't date a girl who isn't smarter than me."
    ptcpaul01 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Oct 26, 2009, 12:55 PM

Hi I bet you are still under 18 years of age, it is quite normal for girls to want to date Tall guys or even guys who have more facial hair at that age, it seems to show more masculinity, more machismo, don't worry you will start to get dates, just show confidence and be yourself.
    LifeAfterYou Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Oct 26, 2009, 12:57 PM
    I don't know I guess I might be a little paranoid after all my ideal height is 6"2 and I always wanted to be a basketball player. I live in America. For some reason I feel inferior to tall people and the average height here in this city is around 6 foot. I think it has also affected my love life, not too much drama, actually nothing going on at the moment.

Im 19 Ptc. Lol
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 12:59 PM

Just be you. I am 6'1" and believe me I don't think it has helped land me any date. All REAL women like a guy who is confident and a gentlemen. The thing about America is it is full of guys who are total jerks, so by you simply being polite and well mannered you have a leg up on 75% of the rest of the male population. Deal with the hand you're dealt and do the best with it. :)

P.S. : if you can make a woman laugh or smile, she will love you for it!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcpaul01 View Post
    Hi I bet you are still under 18 years of age, it is quite normal for girls to want to date Tall guys or even guys who have more facial hair at that age, it seems to show more masculinity, more machismo, dont worry you will start to get dates, just show confidence and be yourself.

What? Care to post your research on this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 06:50 PM

Talaniman Rule- Date them all, short, fat, skinny, or tall! 18-80, blind, cripple, or crazy.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Nov 4, 2009, 07:24 PM

Hi,
    I want to stress confidence, confidence, confidence! There is this guy at my work who must be 5'3" I'm guessing and 24 years old? This dude has some major game going on! He struts around like "Joe Alpha Male" and he isn't even that good looking. I'm 5'7" plus I wear 2-3 inch heals so I tower over this guy. All the girls are taller than him. He oozes confidence, charisma and dare I say some animal magnetism :) He's kind of aloof too. The girls really like him. A lot!!

So my advice is be confident and show that sense of humor. :)
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 08:39 PM

I agree with this, it just seems like girls don't want to date guys shorter than them simply because it might look awkward or strange since guys are suppose to be more masculin therefore taller.

Im around your height too and I feel kind of short too. These days girls are so tall, it is almost impossible to find a girl that isn't taller than me that isn't taken, isn't around my age, doesn't live around my area and etc which leaves the odds to about 1 in 1000000. >_<

Nov 4, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    I agree with this, it just seems like girls dont want to date guys shorter than them simply because it might look ackward or strange since guys are suppose to be more masculin therefore taller.

Im around your height too and i feel kind of short too. These days girls are so tall, it is almost impossible to find a girl that isnt taller than me that isnt taken, isnt around my age, doesnt live around my area and etc which leaves the odds to about 1 in 1000000. >_<
    Hi None12345,
    OK, so you want a girl shorter than you. That's understandable, it's your preference. Going back to the OP post though, he wants to know if height matters to girls. I just want to repeat, if the guy has confidence, believes in himself and is a go-getter... girls will go nuts! Just keep that in the back of your mind. ;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by summer7 View Post
    Hi None12345,
    OK, so you want a girl shorter than you. That's understandable, it's your preference. Going back to the OP post though, he wants to know if height matters to girls. I just want to repeat, if the guy has confidence, believes in himself and is a go-getter.....girls will go nuts! Just keep that in the back of your mind. ;)
    Hi Summer7,

I heard that a girl likes a guy with lots of confidence so many times but I don't understand why lol. What about confidence turns on girls? XD Plus wouldn't it be easier for a guy to have more confidence if he is taller? I think it correlates somehow. :confused:

Nov 4, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    Hi Summer7,

I heard that a girl likes a guy with lots of confidence so many times but i dont understand why lol. What about confidence turns on girls? XD Plus wouldnt it be easier for a guy to have more confidence if he is taller? I think it correlates somehow. :confused:
    Hi None12345,
    Being tall does not make you confident. I have met many guys who are tall and are insecure and needy. TURN OFF! Everyone is attracted to confident people. When I meet a guy who has vision, direction, sense of humor, hobbies, interests and goals... I love it! Also important is the way you carry yourself. Girls love a guy who struts with confidence. You have all the great qualities needed to find a girl. You just need to access them and polish them up. :)
    Read some books, magazines or look on the internet for tips.
    paxe Posts: 793, Reputation: 158

Nov 4, 2009, 10:43 PM

I`m about the same height as you, and we are technically bigger than most men. I feel I`m actually tall and built (I`m pretty large) and girls are naturally attracted to me. Don`t worry, you can grow some shoulders, you will look taller.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2009, 06:28 AM

Guys that have proved height has nothing to do with confidence, nor getting girls:
    1. Mel Gibson
    2. Tom Cruise
    3. Jack Nicholson
    4. Kevin Bacon
    5. Brad Pitt (is your height)

The list goes on. Confidence has nothing to do with height, nor does height have anything to do with getting a female. It is in the preference. Some guys like girls with blonde hair, some with brunette, some with a big chest (i.e. fake) some with natural good looks. It just depends on what each individual likes.

I just don't understand any correlation between height and confidence. I don't feel like I am any more able to do certain things because of my height. I have seen shorter guys with taller girls, and vice versa. To each their own.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2009, 09:50 AM

The taller you are, you tower over more people and naturally you feel superior therefore more confidence, supposedly but if you're too tall, makes you stand out and some people aren't comfortable with that.

Im 20 and I grew a little over an inch the last few months because I started exercising. Now I'm 5"11, i feel comfortable at this height and 5"10 isn't that much off. Maybe start exercising?

I think if you look overweight it takes off the height a little when people look from a distance, just my opinion though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to become fat (6 ft height & wt is only 50) [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, I am of age 22 (male) with 6 feet height and my weight is only 50. I look so thin:( Basically I am a vegiterian to gain weaight I am eating chiken weekly twice Please suggest to become fat

Height problem [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 17 boy and m only 5'1. I feel very ashame of my height. I'm the smallest in my class, even smaller than almost all gals. I don't want to be the tallest but to be like my frens. A few (4 or 5) taller than me. What should I do?

Height [ 4 Answers ]

First of all.. I'm 4'11.. I'm short in middle school I'm in 7th grd.. and a lot of people are taller than me I matured in 3rd grd... at the end of third grd I started my period and I had boobs since like 2nd grd summer or third grd I don't remember but it was in between 2nd and 3rd. And I'm...

Height [ 4 Answers ]

At what age does a woman stop growing does anyone know?

View more questions Search