Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwayne112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2003, 07:41 PM
    Non-profit
    Can a non-profit make a profit. I guess my question is when starting a non profit how can you as the founder make money for yourself. What are the benefits and drawbacks.
    jande34808 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2004, 11:04 PM
    non-profit
    You can make a profit but that is not the main thing.You give yourself a salary and the rest goes back into the business to pay for your expenses whatever they are,I.e.salaries for your staff,overhead,etc..
    DeathBlade Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2004, 04:43 PM
    non-profit
    I think starting a charity to make money is sleazy.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 4, 2007, 02:33 PM
    I don't think you sound like you have sleezy intentions but want to run a non-profit business but also need to eat? The fact is that non-profits have to operate much like for-profit businesses or they fail.

The larger non-profits pay very well and most do not work strictly with volunteers. You need to find an accountant and attorney to write up by-laws, and should also construct a board of directors with varied knowledge.

There is likely to be a formula for determining the percentage that can be paid to you and other employees, and a percentage for general overhead to run the organization.

Some people in the non-profit world earn in the 6 or 7 figures - it is not even unusual. However, they will not get donations if they are excessive. It all boils down to what percentage of donated funds directly results in service to the beneficieries of the organization. The younger and less proven the organization, the higher the percentage will need to be in order to you to secure funding. Most funding sources will probably set a percentage of the funding that can be paid for "overhead" expenses, which includes salaries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-profit and not-for-profit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: What is the difference between non-profit and not-for-profit organizations?

Unrealized profit [ 2 Answers ]

If a bank has done a service to a company and received in returns shares of that company as payment, is this income considered as

Non-profit [ 2 Answers ]

I am very interested in starting a non profit organization, I know what I want it to be about but I don't know how to start it please help.

View more questions Search