Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dougan123 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Hobbie Wanted!
    Hello,
    I am a 12 year old boy. I enjoy playing on my Xbox 360, watching TV and playing on the computar. I have friends, but I choose not to go out with them. My mum has now told me that there are new house rules, no Xbox at all and no TV before 12:00 on a school/weekday, which I think is fair. She has also said that because I won't be on the Xbox or the TV until 12:00, I need to find something to keep me occupied. I hate reading, I think it's boring. I won't step foot in a library. All the boy sports like Football, Rugby, Basketball etc... doesn't appeal to me, although I do watch WWE Wrestling. I am now trying to sell my Xbox for some cash. I do enjoy dancing and gym. I also think squash is fun, but I don't really want to pursue any of those things.
    If you can help me find a hobbie in any way, please help. Thank you. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 05:39 AM

Welcome to the site Dougan!

Are you interested in mechanics at all?

You can pick up an old lawnmowers or motorbikes and find the manual for it on the internet.
    My partner used to love pulling engines apart, cleaning them up and putting them back together.

It's handy because if you have an interest it is a great way to prepare yourself for a career.
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 25, 2009, 05:58 AM

Hello Dougan

I think most people my age were lucky enough - I'm in my forties, and as such computers and game consoles were not common, TV was limited to 3 channels (TV) so we had to find our own entertainment

What my father did for me was by my a total banger (knackered) car when I was 11 and a manual of how to fix it

To say that I had fun is an understatment, to say me and my father had arguments was also an understatement :)

I loved finding out how the engine worked and how to take it apart

Don't get me wrong, I play xbox now, PC games and watch TV, but the knowledge I gained from mechanics has been invaluable

Just as some of the games you play are finding out where things go, or tools to help you on your journey so does fixing an engine

Plus you are dealing with petrol and electrical sparks - total fun :)

Just a thought for you on what I did as a kid
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 10:59 AM

Hi Dougan123! Welcome to AMHD! :)

I think it takes a lot of courage to sell one own's game console! I don't that the guts to do that, lol! Well, I find that AMHD is one of the best hobbies I know. You learn, have fun, and learn, and have fun, and learn... well, you get my point! :D
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 11:09 AM

I was going to suggest mechanics as well. Learn to fix small things, take some courses. Do they offer it at school? And you can use the profits from the xbox to buy parts and build a little robot or build a go cart. Or you can get kinex kits. Models cars. Model airplanes.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
    >Thread copied from Introductions.<

Please keep further discussion about the hobby thing for Dougan123 on this thread.

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 10:17 PM

What do you like?
    Are you more artistic or more mechanical?
    Have you ever considered getting involved in computer graphics?
    I am a graphic artist and I could help you in that way if you want.
    Get back here and we can talk.
    What do you like Music,arts,crafts,woodwork?
    Let us know and then we can better guide you.
    Peace :)
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 11:29 PM

Lol, it was originally from the introductions board Artsy :)

Anyway, I'm subscribed to the teen boards, those complicated issues make my head hurt most of the time, lol!

Oct 26, 2009, 11:02 AM

Hi,
    Thank you for all the answers you are all giving me, I am happy with the responses you are giving. I am sorry to say that I am not a michanical person :S. I am into Dance, Geography, Drama, Gymnastics, but I am not much into boys sports like Football, Rugby, I don't like Football because its anoying that I get teased by other kids saying Im rubbish. I can't stand Rugby because I broke my thumb playing it so that took me off the sport. I try Basketball at school, but I just can't score or defend. Thanks again for your help, this was a respond to peoples questions saying what do you like?
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Hi again, Dougan123!

Do you play a musical instrument or if you don't, are you interested in playing a musical instrument?

Also, what kind of dance style or styles are you into, please?

Thanks!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 02:59 PM
    How about disc golf? It can be played by yourself, or with friends. I know Clough and myself play, it sure is fun. Here is the link so you can get a feel for how it's done : Professional Disc Golf Association.

It is an outdoor sport, which will get you out of the house. Hopefully, there's a course near you. If not, you can order a practice basket.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 26, 2009, 03:04 PM

Start a collection:
    Aget rocks (a tumbler would be cool)
    Beach glass
    Bugs

Take up:
    Skate boarding
    Swimming
    Photography
    Small rockets
    Cooking

Do hope some of this is helpful, I could come up with more...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 03:06 PM

Why not take some dancing lessons?

There are tons of styles to choose from and it's a great way to meet people.

Drama classes would be great too. You could join your local theater. :)

There are so many things you could do. Just find your passion and go from there, but most importantly, don't be afraid to try.

Oct 27, 2009, 02:05 AM

Hi Clough,
    I am a Street/Hip Hop dancer. I tried playing a recorder a long time ago, and I aslso played the piano, but I diddnt like my teacher and I wasn't learning much.
    Thank you for asking and trying to help, and thanks to everyone. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 09:33 AM

Piano is something that Clough might be able to teach you! :)
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Piano is something that Clough might be able to teach you! :)
    Hi again, Dougan123!

Yes, learning the basics of how to play the piano as well as how to write music are a couple of things that I can actually help you with on this site!

Thanks, Unknown008!
    mikeoleary Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 06:06 AM

Dougan,
    One of the answers mentioned model cars.
    I have been doing model cars for 50 years. It taught me a lot about cars and it taught me to be patient, and it is fun. Here in America we have hot rods that are ussually old cars fixed up with new parts and made to go faster and have more horsepower. Go to your nearest hobby shop and get a Revell model of a 31 or 32 Ford streetrod and build it your way. You will enjoy it. Get a copy of a streetrod magazine for ideas.
    mikeoleary Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 06:09 AM

Dougan123,
    Music and dance are also very good hobbies. Dancing is good exercise!
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
    So, are you going to return to here, Dougan123?

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2009, 02:29 AM

Yes Clough, thank you everyone, you are all lovely, god bless you all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NEED a hobbie! [ 24 Answers ]

What are some common hobbies for children on 12 years of age? HELP!

Hobbie with my son [ 5 Answers ]

My son is 14 years old and usually comes to stay with me on the weekends. He is consumed with XBOX Live. If it was up to him, he'd be in his room the entire day. It's winter now and so offering to play catch is not something he'd respond to . What sort of hobbie can I do with him?

Bath for Cockapoo that has recently given birth [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I have a Cockapoo that has just gave birth and she had 5 puppies. Its been 4 or 5 days now. I wanted to know if its safe to take her a bath with soap. Because I was thinking if soap would get on her nipples the puppies would suck on them and that will cause a infection to them. So when can I...

View more questions Search