Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ipcfarm Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Water Heater problems
    Pilot went out, no problem relighting. BUT when I turn up the thermostat, the flame gets out of control and escapes from the two protective doors. It has started melting the plastic on the outside of the tank around the drain valve.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Sounds like your vent is blocked. Is there a blower on the top of this water heater?

Nov 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
    I'm not sure. There is an opening on top of the unit and some venting over that which leads into the same venting as the furnace (the furnace is to the water heater). Then it leads out to the roof.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Well for some reason the water heater sounds like it is not drafting, or isn't getting any combustion air.

Nov 5, 2006, 03:16 PM
    How could I go about adjusting/fixing that?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 03:27 PM
    A lot of that depends. If you don't have any electrical supply to the heater, you don't have forced draft. If you do, the wires should lead to a small motor and blower. It should come on when the gas does.

Otherwise, pull the vent pipe loose from the top of the heater, and look both ways for foreign objects. There will be a twisted metal strip running to the bottom of the heater. High efficiency models may be more complicated. Check where the vent goes outside. Remove any dead birds, plastic bags, etc. you find. Except for the twisted strip and maybe a blower, there shouldn't be anything between the burner at the bottom and wherever the vent exits the house. It should have a cap to let the exhaust out but not let rain in.

Nov 5, 2006, 06:04 PM
    No electric supply. I checked the vent over the water heater and everything seems OK, no obstructions. The vent from the water heater joins with the vent from the furnace and it comes out the roof. And the furnace is working fine. From the ground it looks unobstructed. I'll get up on the roof tomorrow for a better inspection. Many thanks.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ipcfarm
    No electric supply. I checked the vent over the water heater and everything seems ok, no obstructions. The vent from the water heater joins with the vent from the furnace and it comes out the roof. And the furnace is working fine. From the ground it looks unobstructed. I'll get up on the roof tomorrow for a better inspection. Many thanks.
    Also check the core of the water heater it may have sooted up. Also fresh air comes in from the bottom of the water heater, a round hole just under the burner, this could be blocked with rust and stuff, look for other openings or screens if this is what's called a sealed combustion water heater.

Nov 6, 2006, 02:43 PM
    I have a definitive answer: My water heater imploded. Thanks to all of you for help, it is much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

01 Dodge Ram 1500 Heater/AC Problems [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There, I have a Dodge Ram 1500 2001. I bought it used and it seems to have heater issues. Whenever I have the AC on and I slow down or go down hill the heater will all of a sudden kick on. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/eek.gif :eek: Any thoughts on how I can fix this? ...

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my house in May and have been having a problem geeting hot water in the bathtub in the morning. The water seems to be hot everywhere else but the tub. It will finally get semi hot but winter is coming and I need hot water in morning.

Water heater [ 6 Answers ]

I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot...

View more questions Search