Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rike023 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Changing Thermostat Analog to Digital have 110 volt wires
    I have a baseboard hot water system with a gas boiler. Boiler is 6-7 years old. It has three zones with 3 separate pumps and thermostats. I checked the thermostat wires and they are 110 volts. Folks at the local hardware store I talked to were surprised with the 110 volts but suggested I could use a thermostat used for electric baseboard heaters. I would think this would work since the new and old thermostats have only 2 wires. The instructions for the Honeywell RLV430 caution that this thermostat can not be used with systems that have a contactor of relay. How can I confirm that the Honeywell is compatible with my system?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 01:43 PM
    But it clearly states it is for 120 V applications. And your termostat wires are 110 V? Do you know what gauge wire it is? Do these termostats turn on the pumps directly?
    rike023 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 07:54 PM
    The wires are 14 AWG. I checked the wire with a voltmeter and read 116 volts. I have included 3 pictures. The 3 thermostat wires run into a single electrical box and then into 3 individual Culter Hammer boxes and back. From there 4 armored cables exit the electrical box. Three of these run into the 3 pumps, one per pump. The other runs into another Cutler Hammer box attached to the side of the boiler. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Thermostat Wires don't match-help please [ 2 Answers ]

Sir or ma'am- I am attempting to replace my 1960's era Honeywell thermostat with a modern 5-1-1 and I managed to thoroughly confuse myself. My 1930's era house only has gas heated radiator system connected to this thermostat. We added central air 6 months ago but it is on a separate system. ...

I think I shorted contact wires for digital thermostat while installing. [ 3 Answers ]

Actually, I know I shorted it! I was installing a ritetemp therostat. C-Blue G-Green Y-Yellow W-White R-Red It seemed pretty straight forward.

Thermostat wires [ 4 Answers ]

Our new puppy pulled the thermostat wires loose from the outside air conditioning unit. No damage to any wires, but I need to know which wire goes to which. From the inside, the wires are blue and yellow. The outside unit has brown and blue. Which to which?

View more questions Search