Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkate82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 04:18 PM
    How to get my dyed brown hair blond , I haven't dyed it for 12 months
    HI
    Here goes lol,, I dyed my hair dark brown about 12 months ago and had it cut really short at the same time , most of the colour is out now its just at the ends and its faded a lot to , I want to go back to blonde , I no my roots will go no probs but I'm worried about the ends , how will I go about this?? Please help me , I can't afford to go to the hairdressers , will I just be able 2 bleach and tone it ? As like I said I haven't dyed it for ova 12 months now , and most of it is my natrual colour witch is dark bloned 2 light brown , depening on the time of year, will be really thankful for any tips on how to do this, and like I said its not had any dye on it for ova 12 months now and its not even dark brown anymore , think most of the colour has faded , just want 2 get it write though thank you xxxx
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 04:30 PM

I recommend saving up for the hairdresser. I wanted to go back to blonde too. And tried doing it myself at home. Big mistake. And it cost much more to get it professionally fixed than it would have to just have them do it right the first time. Unless you really know what you're doing (and if you did, well, you wouldn't be here asking), it's very likely to go bad. My roots came out perfectly. All of the previously died parts were just awful.
    kkate82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Hi thanks
    Yes I bleached my dyed dark brown hair about 3 years ago and it went bright orange and it cost me £60 just to have a toner put on and then it didn't look much better so I ended up putting a dark brown dye back on it just 2 fix the mess I had made lol , but my hair is no where near as dark now and most of it is my own colour,, I think I'm going to do a strand test and just see how it goes, I could never go and spend £100 in a salon as I have 4 children and id just feel so guilty spendin tha sort of money on myself , I think they should all save up and get me this 4 my christmas prezzy this year as I always pay for them 2 go to the hairdressers but never go myself , will see what happens hey lol
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 04:59 PM

A strand test is a good idea. Probably what I should have done before I tried to do my hair. Lol sometimes moms deserve some pampering, by the way. :)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 08:01 PM
    I dyed my hair dark brown about 12 months ago and had it cut really short at the same time. Most of the colour is out now its just at the ends and its faded a lot too. I want to go back to blonde. I know my roots will go no probs but I'm worried about the ends. How will I go about this?
    I agree that it's a lot easier to let someone with experience do it. But, there are people who don't have the $$.

If you've grown your hair out for a year, you have about 15 cm of new growth. It's important to note that.

First, you'll need to remove the artificial pigment in the ends. This is best done using a color remover: ColorFix, Color Oops, Color Zap, etc. The artificial pigment in the hair doesn't react with bleach the same way that natural pigment does. If you don't get it out ahead of time, you'll have big problems.

Second, you'll need to bleach out the remaining natural pigment. Remember that the roots will bleach out faster than the ends (heat from the scalp). You'll probably have to bleach in three sections -- 1) the already-colored section; 2) the 14 cm natural section away from the roots and 3) the 1 cm nearest the root). Finally, you'll be able to tone it (dye it with a blonde dye).

Be sure and research this before you attempt it. Make sure you understand what color changes the hair will go through and how light you'll need to bleach it. Make sure you've done strand tests (either on or off the head -- I prefer on the head) so you'll be sure of the color that you're going to get.

If you're only going slightly lighter you may be able to use a single-process haircoloring but you'll still need to use color remover on the artificial pigment. You still need to do the strand tests and the research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I dyed my hair brown it turned out green ,hat do I do? [ 7 Answers ]

I have dyed my blonde hair brown and it turned out green!! How can I fux it at home?

Already dyed hair (brown/orange) trying to turn it into a gold brown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I dyed my hair last month opting for a nice brown that would show up a golden brown in the sun. However, it turned out a bit orange. The orange is not as strong as before. Probably because the color faded after washing my hair so many times. So my big dilemma is that I want to stay in the same...

I dyed my hair red, how do I get light brown? [ 3 Answers ]

I dyed my hair red a couple of weeks ago, but I now want to go dark brown.. what should I do? :):):)

Dyed hair black from dark brown [ 1 Answers ]

Its making me look really pale and I'm not sure I like it, I really want my hair back to dark brown, its giving me a gothic look and I HATE it. I've been reading a few things and people have said prell works? Anyy advice on this from people who have used it on dyed black hair would be very vey...

Tips for dying already dyed red hair brown again. [ 4 Answers ]

My natural hair color is sort of an ashy brown... but I do have some red tint to it. I have been dying my hair red for a few years now and have decided that I would like to dye it brown again, does anyone know the easiest way to get this done WITHOUT going to a stylist? --I did try once before to...

View more questions Search