Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    somanel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees?
    I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off. They never ask anyone before they changed the schedulles. Is it legal?
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 25, 2009, 02:33 PM

Do receive health insurance or 401k through this company?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 03:03 PM

Was there ever any written contract or guarantee that you would work 40 hours? My company always cuts hours when it gets slow. But we're also a private company and there's no guarantee of a certain number of hours for any of us. But then my mom used to work for a grocery store with a union and she was guaranteed a minimum number of hours every week though the union.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 04:12 PM

Yes, they can do this unless you signed an agreement guaranteeing you 40 hours per week.

I worked for a company who designated 38 1/2 hours as full time. Then they cut back with no notice whatsoever everyone's hours to 32 as partial full time, and then another cut of some other employees to no more than 28 hours and designated them as part time. The partial full time employees did retain the holidays and the right to keep their health insurance though. There were only 2 "full time" employees that worked 38 1/2 hours a week after all was said and done. And yes, a lot of employees found jobs elsewhere.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by somanel View Post
    Is it legal?
    Hello s:

In the absence of a union or employment contract, you are employed "at will". That's a legal concept meaning that your employer can fire you for ANY reason whatsoever or for NO reason at all. You have the same rights, in that you can quit at ANY time for ANY reason or NO reason whatsoever...

Given the above, it's perfectly legal for your employer to do what he's doing.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 05:27 PM

If there is no written contract or unioin contract they may cut your hours anytime they want, they may take away any benefit ( insurance and others) they may also cut your pay down to state min wages anytime they want unless you have a contract with them.

With business slow down here in Atlanta, a lot of major companies are cutting pay 25 percent and laying off employees from 25 to 50 percent.
    adamlvndtx115 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Well, if an employer can cut your full time status to an "as needed" statues; are you able to file for unemployment during that time?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2013, 05:33 AM
    Hello a:

No.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Part time or full time New York resident taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My husband in the was USARMY stationed at West Point, New York up until the end of August of 2008 therefore he was not a New York resident. We moved to Highland Falls, New York September 15,2008. Do we file a part time New York resident form? He was only a New York resident from September 15, 2008...

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

Time off for salaried employees [ 1 Answers ]

Our company provides two weeks paid vacation a year. We have no sick time. Can a salaried person take additional days off and get paid? How frequently?

Live part-time NYC and work full-time and live part-timein Long Island am I NYC resi [ 1 Answers ]

For all of 2007, I lived and worked in Suffolk County four days per week, and I lived in the Bronx three days per week (not working during those three days). My employer generated my w-2 form with non-resident status based on my working and living in Suffolk County for my emploment. My question is,...

View more questions Search