Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kim_86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Paint peeling in strips in kitchen but not the rest of house.
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to these forums and not sure if I'm in the right place but I have a huge drama I've asked so many people at bunnings and other painting places but keep getting conflicting information.

I've just started repainting my (10yr old) house only to find out the previous owners didn't primer the plaster before painting, It started bubbling and peeling in places after we patched and painted places, so we had to rub it back and re prepare the area, now my problem is when I went into the kitchen to fix a chip the paint started peeling off in strips, we have scraped all the paint out of the kitchen now its really hard to peel any more paint off. My question is do we need to peel all the paint from the house or can we stop where it is hard to peel, sand it primer the peeled walls and just paint over the whole thing?

Oh and we have done more test patches through the house but can't get it to peel anywhere else. Also if I do need to peel it all off what's the easiest way to do so with young kiddies in the house..

Thanks to all who answer in advance and I hope you understand my question..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 05:34 PM

Is the peeling wall an outside wall?
    kim_86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 08:57 PM

No it's the inside kitchen wall.. all internal walls.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 01:03 AM

10 yr old houses usually don't have plaster, bt could be wrong here.
    Usually they have drywall.

Peeling in strips is usually caused by painting with Latex over oil without proper prep.

Redi-patch (Home Depot) is my favorite compound. Basically if you can't get it off with rough sanding, it's probably stuck good.
    Use a mix of tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) and water before painting.

Re-level and repaint. Priming may not be necessary.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Oct 29, 2009, 03:26 PM

Houses are plastered all the time here do you get any chalking from the plaster? There are some paints and primers that have problems with moisture sometimes if plaster is painted to soon paint will bubble or come off in sheets that is from the moisture in the plaster you could try priming the walls with a bins or killz primer
    fizzy24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Yeah I have the same problem but it seems to be in nearly every room... I can peel the paint off but in some parts it sticks... I don't know what to do either.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 12:20 PM

Someone likely painted over oil pait with latex withou the proper prep.

I went through it too. Fortunately my issues were mostly trim.

Wash with TSP and water.

Sand with a course sandpaper to expose the bad areas. Peel what you can.

Use the TSP mix again.

Patch with Redi-Patch and sand.
    lincoln112 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Just go to this site, it has the information you need, <a href="http://www.localpainterquotes.com/">painting leads</a>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How too keep paint from peeling off [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in the process of repainting one of my dressers. I have prepped the surface properly (sand down, clean well) and applied a good primer but it still looks as though the paint may end up peeling or scraping off easily... Is there a product out there that I can apply on top of the paint to...

Peeling paint blues [ 3 Answers ]

The paint in the stairwell of my home is peeling .I believe that the problem was latex over oil. In some places large flakes about 3 inches in diameter are peeling off you can scratch it off with a thumbnail .Do I have to scrape the whole wall clean or can I scrape only the peeling areas and sand...

Interior peeling paint [ 8 Answers ]

Wallpaper was removed from our living room by a "professional" and the walls painted. The paint peeled in large pieces in several areas within a couple years. We had another painter scrape and repaint. This second guy thought the wallpaper paste had not been properly removed. A few years later it...

Peeling paint [ 1 Answers ]

Help... after painting, pulling painters tape off, some paint pulled off with it, how to fix?

Cracking and peeling paint... Help! [ 2 Answers ]

We are currently doing up a rental property in return for cheap rent with option to buy. The interior paint is cracked and peeling in many places. The paint that peels off is 1.5 mm thick. What is the best way of preparing the walls for painting? How much should we scrape off? I'm worried that if...

View more questions Search