Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shinishi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 08:02 AM
    English is difficult! "had to"
    I'm a Japanese, learning English in Japan.

When you use "had to", can a "but" follow it?
    For example, can you say
    "I had to do my homework but I didn't."

In a Japanese grammar book,
    It says "had to" is used only when you
    "did" the thing you "had to" such as,
    "I had to work last night, so I didn't watch the program."

Is it true?

I understand you can say,
    "I should have worked last night, but I watched the program."
    But I also have a feeling that
    "I had to do my homework but I didn't."
    Is also correct...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Congratulations on your efforts. Learning English is not easy as you will hear many variations in the same language. To answer your question... Yes, contemporary English usage does allow you to say, "I had to do my homework, but I didn't." When I was growiing up the rules of grammar and syntax and order were much stricter than they are now. I even doubt that diagraming sentecnes is taught anymore.
    Best of luck to you in your learning!
    ramanamlv Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Hi shyg,
    I understand your question show your keen interest in finer aspects of the subject. Yes, you are correct. Should have... is surely a better alternative. Using had to is not advisible to use in the given context.
    If you are above intermediate level student of english, I very strongly advise you to go through a book. ' a guide to english patters and strucutre' by hornby. Though the total book may not be useful to you, the last chapter gives you a very authentic info about the concepts. If you want a similar book, you can go to you can go through 'communicative grammar of english' by svartik and leech.
    The all -time fav of eng grammar book is of course... practical english grammar by thomson and martinet.
    I am suggesting these books as I find you fit enough to go through any one of them.
    With best compliments,
    ramanamlv

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search