Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Oct 24, 2009, 05:21 PM
    What happen if you open the window while driving the Thrust SSC?
    What would happen if you were to open a window while driving the Thrust SSC at max speed? (assuming that there was a window). What would happen to you? And what if you would have stick your arm out?

Thanks
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 11:56 PM

Well, I am not so sure about what would happen, but these are my suggestions:

a) The fast air travelling past the car has a lower pressure than the air in the car. So, air would try escaping the car and make it like you are being sucked out of the car (I can't another word :o, vacuumed perhaps?). The car would perhaps also slow down because of that.

b) Your hand will be subjected to strong air resistance, hence friction is large, hence heating up.

Well, those are what I think. I don't know exactly what can happen because all this is 'theorical' and not 'practical'.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Oct 25, 2009, 08:07 AM

So don't you think your arm would be broken because of the strong air resistance pushing on it as the car speeds forward?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 10:50 AM

Well, that may happen, if you sort of have your palm opened flat... It all depends on the magnitude of the air resistance, and the minimum force required to break an arm.
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 25, 2009, 11:08 AM

Eveing S

If you opened up a window on one side of the thrust SSC, assuming travelling at the speed of sound here, the airflow over the vehicle would alter, with the pressure inside of the vehicle effecting the outside flow, temporarily forcing it to push away from the side of the body

This would cause an imbalance of pressure being applied to the body and cause it to be pushed to one side and likely crash in a very spectacular fashion

It usually only takes 5-10lbs of pressure being applied directly to the bone to break it, depending on surface area being covered, bone applied to and angle of strike

If you could drive the SSC with a window open then it would depend on your muscle strength to determine if you could withstand the pressure being applied to it

If you have ever stuck your handout the car window (safely) at 60mph, then x 12.5 to equal the pressure being applied to your arm - chances are your arm would be pushed back instantly, but break a bone I doubt - more snap tendons

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Open in new window while in windows explorer [ 7 Answers ]

While in windows explorer, highlight a folder, open in a new window?

Cannot open second window on a certain web site [ 2 Answers ]

When on a certain web site for training... I cannot open the window to start training. I get a "about:blank-windows internet explorer" page. This only happens at home with verizon fios using Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D router. I can get on at work using my same laptop... any ideas?

Open Desktop Shortcut in New Window [ 2 Answers ]

Recently, our real estate multiple list service began using a program that is internet based, which works fine. We also access our county assessor's records on the internet. My problem occurs when I am working in the multiple list and need to check the assessor's records. I have a shortcut on my...

Open Internet explorer in new window? [ 5 Answers ]

Please help! I have figured out how to do just about everything I want except open a new window when I click on a link. I have windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 2. I can not figure this out :eek: anyone know how?

Can't Open PDF File in New Window from Captivate [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Captivate (cp) file where I have a button that should open a new window and open a pdf file. It doesn't work. It just opens my browser. I tried using java script, and it would open a new window, but I can't get the pdf file to show. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search