Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Soupy Sales goes to the great beyond
    Having met Soupy Sales back in the 1960's in NYC during his hayday of his TV show, I was saddened to read of his passing. He was more than funny - he was a comic genius that most people did not understand or appreciate. I worked for WNEW radio at the time he was doing his show on WNEW-TV. I was privy to attend his show whenever I could and did on many, many occasions. The fun behind the scenes was almost as much fun as was on the TV screen. Actually, the fun off screen had a lot of X rated comments and was really wild to put it mildly.

Rest in Peace, Soupy.
    Attached Images

tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Soupy was great . Back then all these shows had puppets like LambChops and Howdy Doodie etc.. So Soupy gave us White Fang and Black Tooth to parody those shows .

You worked at WNEW 1130 "The World's Greatest Radio Station "?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Hello twink:

Well, hit me in the face with a pie... RIP, Soup..

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Soupy was great . Back then all these shows had puppets like LambChops and Howdy Doodie etc..So Soupy gave us White Fang and Black Tooth to parody those shows .

You worked at WNEW 1130 "The World's Greatest Radio Station " ? ?
    Yep. Sure did. I was the personal secretary to Kyle Rote who was the Sports Director and did the sports reports. He was wonderful to work for. A real Southern gentleman. While working for him I met and talked to almost daily every player of the New York football team (Giants when they were still in New York) that Kyle was on for years. I met Rosie Greer, Frank Gifford and many other very tall, huge football players.

I once told William B. Williams (a popular radio personality on WNEW) to take the bus as it was raining so much there were no cabs. He looked at me with a weird look on his face. I told him to just keep his mouth closed and say nothing and no one will recognize him. He was definitely not amused to put it mildly.

Working at WNEW was lots of fun. This was back in the middle 1960's. I used to have an on air "romance" on the Klavan and Finch morning show with Trevor who did the helicopter traffic reports sans helicopter. Sometimes K&F would try their darndest to make me laugh on the air doing all sorts of antics that didn't come through the radio. Had I laughed I would have been probably canned.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello twink:

Well, hit me in the face with a pie... RIP, Soup..

excon
    Incoming... splat. There's your pie, Exie. Courtesy of Soupy!
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 02:37 PM

I loved Pookie the Lion, White Fang, and the guy with the gruff voice that would grab Soupy by the shirt and yell at him (played by the same guy who did the voice of White Fang).

To be in the studio where it was broadcast was priceless, believe me, priceless. Everybody would be laughing so much the time just flew by.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 01:50 AM
    I listened to Giants radio broadcasts for years with Rote and Marty Glickman... and Rote himself was on the famous 1956 Giants Championship team and before that an All-American Running back at SMU .
    Jim Henson is credited with using puppets in comedy ;but Soupy predated Jim Henson and the Muppets doing vauldville like comedy.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I listened to Giants radio broadcasts for years with Rote and Marty Glickman....and Rote himself was on the famous 1956 Giants Championship team and before that an All-American Running back at SMU .
    Jim Henson is credited with using puppets in comedy ;but Soupy predated Jim Henson and the Muppets doing vauldville like comedy.
    When I met Kyle Rote at my job interview I didn't have a clue who he was other than some nice, tall Texan. Still haven't the faintest clue how football is played by the way! Kyle went on to work for NBC after WNEW, as you no doubt know. Met his son Kyle as well. Interestingly, Kyle had a very fat file folder in his office file cabinet marked "Namesakes". This was chocked full of all the kids named after him! I read some of the letters to him and was surprised at some of the famous names contained within that file.

I think Soupy treated his puppets more like humans with more realistic skits than Henson did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Great face? Or great body [ 15 Answers ]

Which do you prefer... a woman who is pretty in the face... doesn't have a horrible body but is about 10 pounds too heavy.. ok 15. OR a bod that won't quit and a face that is average at best( and I am being KIND.) I am asking for a friend... ;) The personality is dazzling for both women. ( OK I...

Great R&B Song, Great Lyrics - Who's the Artist and what's the Title? Thanks [ 1 Answers ]

Singers: Male and Female duet. Female:- The sunlight smiles faithful every day for you. No one comes close to the joy you bring to me; whisper's like the summer's breeze. To put my mind at ease. When I look into your eye's I invision you and me on LOVE'S JOURNEY. So I wrote this melody because...

Great music. Great story, too [ 1 Answers ]

I like the music tremendously! And the pictures tell the fantastic story well. We Didn't Start The Fire Make certain your speakers are turned up.

Great Dane Great Strain? [ 8 Answers ]

I love great danes!! I have and always will love them. In general I love big dogs! My question is though if I were to get a great dane what's my cost looking at what are some of the problems that are spefic to great danes behaviour and health wise (ex. Yorkies have hip problems) also I really want...

High Pressure Sales with Private Sales Clubs [ 4 Answers ]

To Whom: Is it legal in the state of Rhode Island/Connecticut for a private sales club (Direct Buy) to force a prospective member to join immediately after a forced one hour sales pitch? Direct Buy instructs their prospective customers that if they don't apply for membership immediately they...

View more questions Search