pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Avocado ripen unevenly
    Name:  adacado 001.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  20.2 KB

Lulu avocados are falling off my tree. But they are ripening at the top
    While the rest of the avocado is still hard. Tried putting them in brown paper
    Bags. Next to bananas . But nothing works. Half of the avocado is mushy while
    The rest is hard. Any ideas. Oct-Nov is the harvest season for my tree.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 24, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Hi! Pastor 1189

A fellow member firmbeliever (Hi firmy! :) ) had answered a question similar to this a couple of years ago, AMHD_avocado-ripen-unevenly-145780 , but that was for Avocado's that were already off the tree, hmmm...

You don't say if your in Florida or California, but with mentioning Lula as your species, I will go with Florida.

Avocado's will ripen to a point on the tree then finish the process, on the way to market or under careful observation by the homeowner. :)

In your case though, and with all other conditions being equal, i.e. Climate, soil not being disturbed near the tree, and familiarity with how this particular tree grows for you.
    I would say that for this years harvest your fruit has contracted Anthracnose (Colletotrichum gloeosporoides).

That can lead to Avocado scab (Sphaceloma perseae). Another fungus that readily infects young, succulent tissues of leaves, twigs and fruit, and 'Lula' is very susceptible to scab.
    Has the tree sustained any storm damage this season?

Avocado Growing in the Florida Home Landscape.
    Provides help in growing, and controlling pests, and diseases:
    CIR1034/MG213: Avocado Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

Florida Crop/Pest Management Profile: Avocado
    CIR 1271/PI048: Florida Crop/Pest Management Profile: Avocado

From U. of Cal./Davis, Does your tree show any of these signs?
    Avocado: Disease Monitoring: Disease Signs and Symptoms—UC IPM

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Avocado ripen unevenly [ 2 Answers ]

I have choquett avocados. They ripen at the crown turning brown and mushy. Before the rest of the avocado. My wife tells me I'm bringing them down too early In October. Presently you just have to cut away the mushy part, the rest of the avocado Is OK.

Avocado Pollination [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that one needs a Type "A" and a Type "B" avocado in order to crosspollinate each toher. Also, they have to flower at about the same time. There are early and late flowring varieties. Is there a list of T`ypes, so I can check what I have? I have Avocado 'Russell' Avocado 'Lula'...

GE freezer coil freezing up unevenly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Westinghouse Imperial ET18GKXSW02. The coil in the freezer gets an ice buildup at the first corner of the coil were the bi-metalic senser is located. The tubing is cold to that point. The reast of the coil stayes warm. No cold air but fan and comp. run

Hair dyed unevenly [ 2 Answers ]

My natural color is medium/dark brown. I've been highlighting my hair for about 4 years, then dyed it all over a light brown about a month ago. I didn't like how it turned out, so about a week ago I used a demi-permanent dye that is very close to my natural color. I love the color, but the only...

View more questions Search