Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 24, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Cell membrane proteins and TMPred plot
    How do you read a TMPred plot? I need to figure out what type of membrane protein it could be.

Soooo confused!

Thanks for the help!:eek:
    Attached Images

asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 03:47 PM

I don't even know what TMPred is.

You know who might know is templelane. You might pm her.

Good luck!
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Oct 24, 2009, 04:59 PM

I have looked at these plots before, but I’m not an expert at this.
    This is a plot of predicted membrane spanning regions in a protein. The x-axis in the amino position (N term = 1) in the protein & the Y-axis is the score. Score >500 are considered “positive” but the program does detect “false positive” membrane spanning domains. The I->o plot is the inside to outside plot prediction & o->I is the outside to inside plot. I would be skeptical of this unless your protein is homologous to a protein in the database.

In summary “The TMpred program makes a prediction of membrane-spanning regions and their orientation. The algorithm is based on the statistical analysis of TMbase, a database of naturally occuring transmembrane proteins. The prediction is made using a combination of several weight-matrices for scoring.” From TMpred Server

If I were to guess it looks like it could be a 7 membrane spanning (= trans membrane = TM) G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR).
    You could convince yourself be plotting some 7TM GPCRs or looking to see what proteins (or protein domains this sequence is similar to). Try PredictProtein - Structure Prediction and Sequence Analysis
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    I don't even know what TMPred is.

You know who might know is templelane. You might pm her.

Good luck!
    Ah, it's been a long time since I didn't see her on here!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 08:37 PM

It has been a while. I wonder what she's up to...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cell membrane [ 5 Answers ]

If you're a fat molecule forming the inner layer of a cell membrane, your head will face toward

What receptor proteins are on fat cells? [ 2 Answers ]

What receptor proteins are on fat cells? For example, on cancerous cells there are folic receptors and therefore folic molecules will attach to them. What receptors do fat molecules have and what molecules would attach to these receptors? Please help!

What are the other types of transport across cell membrane in gastric mucosa? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the other types of transport across cell membrane in gastric mucosa?

Typical proteins [ 1 Answers ]

With respect to the four levels of comparative size presented in your text, which scale does a typical protein fall into?

Denturating proteins [ 1 Answers ]

I meant to say low pH of copper sulphate not copper in the previous thread. Will the low concentration have a large bearing on how the egg coagulates?

View more questions Search