Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johkim25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Summons to court; how to answer complaint
    I need to help my uncle settle this dispute with Capital One Bank because he's not very good at speaking and understanding English, but I'm not very good myself with law and court stuff. My uncle's been summoned because Capital One Bank had a complaint with him saying he owes about $10,000 because he opened an account with them and made purchases he didn't pay. However, he himself had never opened an account or had a credit card with them. Instead, Capital One Bank had mistaken him for his brother, because they have the same name. He had cleared this problem before in his credit report. He went through Experian and they deleted it. He has proof of it also. The thing is, he needs to answer to the complaint and I don't know exactly how to. At first I thought of just writing a paragraph explaining the situation, but after I looked online, it seems the wrong thing to do.

The complaints are as followed:

1. Plaintiff CAPITAL ONE BANK (USA), N.A. is a national bank and the Defendant(s) ______ is/are a resident of _____ county, Illinois.

2. The Defendant(s) opened an account agreeing to make monthly payments as required by the terms of the Charge Agreement, for purchases charged to the account.

3. The Defendant(s) did make purchases and charged same to the account but failed to make the monthly payments called for on the account. There is a balance due and owing $10326.71.

4. Plaintiff declared Defendant(s) to be in default and demands payment of balance.

WHEREFORE, the Plaintiff, CAPITAL ONE BANK (USA), N.A. pray for judgement against the Defendant(s), ______, in the amount of $10326.71 plus costs.

So how do I answer to this? I hope I can find an answer soon; I will need to give this to him tomorrow
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2009, 12:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johkim25 View Post
    Instead, Capital One Bank had mistaken him for his brother, because they have the same name.
    Brothers with the same name?

Basically he sends a letter to the court something like this:

To Whom it May Concern,

I am responding to summons dated <insert date> <insert docket number or other info from summons>. It is my Intent to Defend against this suit because I have never had an account with the Plaintiff. I believe this account belongs to my brother who has a similar name.

That's all that's needed. Then send a copy to the plaintiff with a request for verification of the debt.
    johkim25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 02:10 AM
    I'm afraid that doesn't satisfy my uncle. He would like to know how to answer these questions.
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 24, 2009, 03:27 AM

Answer to complaint:

1. Is his name and the location of residence correct? If yes, he answers " Defendant is without information or knowledge to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the former and admits the latter allegations contained in paragraph 1." as you don't know for a fact that the former is true, you only know if you are the defendant so-named residing in that location. If the name and/or location are incorrect, then you reply that "Defendant is without information or knowledge to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in paragraph 1.

2. Defendant denies the allegations contained in Paragraph 2 as there is not, nor has there ever been any agreement, written, oral or implied with the Plaintiff and Defendant.

3. Defendant denies the allegations contained in Paragraph 3 as there is not, nor has there ever been any agreement, written, oral or implied with the Plaintiff and Defendant.

4. Defendant denies the allegations contained in Paragraph 4 as there is not, nor has there ever been any agreement, written, oral or implied with the Plaintiff and Defendant.

Your defense is what Scott gave you in his post. But since you wanted the point by point answers, there they are. You are deny 2 through 4 based on it being the wrong person. Use the above, and add the letter that Scott gave you.

You might want to visit the Bankruptcy forums for additional info. Validation letters are available there. Mr yet has posted examples.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DisabledinMD View Post
    Answer to complaint:

1. Is his name and the location of residence correct? If yes, he answers " Defendant is without information or knowledge to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the former and admits the latter allegations contained in paragraph 1." as you don't know for a fact that the former is true, you only know if you are the defendant so-named residing in that location. If the name and/or location are incorrect, then you reply that "Defendant is without information or knowledge to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in paragraph 1.

2. Defendant denies the allegations contained in Paragraph 2 as there is not, nor has there ever been any agreement, written, oral or implied with the Plaintiff and Defendant.

3. Defendant denies the allegations contained in Paragraph 3 as there is not, nor has there ever been any agreement, written, oral or implied with the Plaintiff and Defendant.

4. Defendant denies the allegations contained in Paragraph 4 as there is not, nor has there ever been any agreement, written, oral or implied with the Plaintiff and Defendant.

Your defense is what Scott gave you in his post. But since you wanted the point by point answers, there they are. You are deny 2 through 4 based on it being the wrong person. Use the above, and add the letter that Scott gave you.

You might want to visit the Bankruptcy forums for additional info. Validation letters are available there. Mr yet has posted examples.

The correct phraseology to denials of allegations are as follows:

The defendant denies the allegations contained in paragraph _ and demands strict proof thereof.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DisabledinMD View Post
    Answer to complaint:

This advice is incorrect under these circumstances - Scottgem IS correct; Twinkiedooter IS correct.

OP should check the "credentials" and number of posts of people responding before taking action. Don't pretend to be an Attorney!
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    The correct phraseology to denials of allegations are as follows:

The defendant denies the allegations contained in paragraph _ and demands strict proof thereof.

Correct info but out of greenies.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johkim25 View Post
    I'm afraid that doesn't satisfy my uncle. He would like to know how to answer these questions.
    And how does my suggestion not answer the questions? Unless he's going to hire a lawyer then he's better off NOT getting involved in legalese. If he's going to go pro se to defend himself, then he should keep it as simple as possible.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 01:56 PM

DisabledinMd - You obviously have no legal training other than the internet.

The added "stuff" about his brother's name is similar to his and the fact he never had an account with these people should be outlined in the area called "Affirmative Defenses" in his Answer to the Complaint and not where you indicated they should be addressed.

Denial of allegations are quite different from Affirmative Defenses.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennantara View Post
    My summons was written improperly! The date of my drivers license was put as my brith date! How can I get the summons thrown out?

Please start a new thread instead of piggybacking. That way more people will see your question.

You make an argument in Court that the Summons contains a significant error. If you win that argument the Police can/will issue another Summons.

If you lose on the grounds that it's immaterial or a mistake you've lost nothing.

I don't think it's a substantial/material error.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Answer to Summons complaint [ 3 Answers ]

I received a summons from JPMorgan Chase regarding a credit card debt. We are working with a debt settlement firm. I have sent the debt settlement company the information already but have to answer the complaint. I understand that I need to tell Chase that I understand the debt is mine and I...

Summons and Complaint on Old Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I was just served a summons and complaint from one of those collections agencies which have a "legal front" name. I used to work in the legal department of a collections agency, but they still scare me a bit. I have been looking online today and cannot find a format to file a response to the court...

What's the correct way to answer a complaint to a summons from collection agency? [ 15 Answers ]

I received a summons by a deputy sheriff regarding a debt from Capital One. Capital One first gave it to a collection co. called NCO Financial Services. Then from there, it went to the Law Offices of Pollack & Rosen and finally it's in the hands of Trauner, Cohen & Thomas who are the ones...

Summons and Complaint on Old Debt [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served a summons and complaint from one of those collections agencies which have a "legal front" name. I used to work in the legal department of a collections agency, but they still scare me a bit. I have been looking online today and cannot find a format to file a response to the court...

View more questions Search