Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    d._woods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2003, 05:11 AM
    Birds and animals
    I want to know if it's safe to paint around birds. (wall and ceiling painting.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2003, 05:38 PM
    birds and animals
    I would at least move the birds out of the room. I don't know much about birds except that they are more sensitive to chemicals than people. I have worked for years a a chemist in the paint industry. Your modern latex paints not only do contain some solvents, but they are more toxic than the ones in oil base paints. You may notice a little sweetish odor while the paint is drying. That is the glycol ether based solvents. Likely the label says use good ventilation. The precautions are written for people that work around the paint every day and are conservative. One day of painting may not hurt you, but might the birds. Put them in another room where you can close the door and leave them there until the paint is dry and the room is aired out.
    bushbob Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2003, 12:08 AM
    When you walk in the houseRe: birds and animals
    In the old days they used birds in mines to check for air quality. When the bird died the air was bad and the miners had to leave the shaft. Birds will also not take oven cleaners of any kind. The birds have to be removed for at least 24 hours and maybe longer. If you can still smell the paint when you walk in the house, it's not completely cured yet
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 22, 2007, 07:34 PM
    NO!! Definitely not, this basically depends on if the paint is water based or not but still birds are VERY sensitive around paint, aresol spray, candles, perfumes, and much much more. Especially since you are painting a lot!! I live in an apartment and we were just having the apt paint the front and back doors to our apt and we were told to move the birds or they would not paint and of course we did. Please remove the birds from the home completely or at LEAST put them in a room with the door shut furthest away from where you are painitng and if you are painting near by just remove them for a day to let the paint settle in.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 24, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Also if you cut an oinion in half and put them all over the house where you are painting it gets rid of the smell and fimes quickly (do not use airfreshner as this can kill the bird )

No painting around birds at all as they all contain fumes and solvents no matter what the make and what the labels say, even odor free paint cntains them,

Also be careful nt to let the bird chew any paint if let out as if the paint contains led as many do it will kill the bird

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birds [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right category but here goes. I had a bird in my basement yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas hw it might have gotten in there? I was wondering if birds will crawl through holes and how big of a hole? Thanks

Animals [ 2 Answers ]

My cat was diagnosed with a lung infection. Does litter box dust or litter box deodorizers cause this problem? She is also having some type of breathing attack. Her breathing is heavy and when she has these attacks she is gasping for breath. The vet prescribed CLAVAMOX. She is an older cat over...

Birds [ 8 Answers ]

What do birds never do on the ground?

Non-human animals [ 4 Answers ]

Do Non-human animals have values and beliefs?

Birds on Wires [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please explain how birds can sit on electrical wires without being harmed? My 7 year old son asked me this and I cannot answer him!

View more questions Search