Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jw4277 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Onan generator
    I have a onan generator and it runs great but it is not making any electricity can someone help me out. I have checked all breakers and fuses and all is good. My brushes are good and look clean, don't know what else to check.. Please Help
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 07:38 PM

Hi,
    Model number would help! Run recently? If not, then flash it. If so then look to the regulator or simply a bad connection.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 23, 2009, 07:54 AM
    Onan generator
    Hi, crigby the gererator runs great it just won't put out electricity its an onan marquis 7000... And what does flash it mean? Thanks for your help I just don't know what else to check and you said something about the voltage regulator is there a way to check it because I had it off but its all sealed and I can't get into it...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2009, 08:03 AM

Onan generators need to be serviced professionally. They are too expensive to let amateurs try and fix hence they are sealed.

A cargo ship owner friend of mine has Onan generators onboard his ships. He has live onboard repair people. They do not attempt to open the Onan generators as they pack a whallop with the built up electricity. If a person who is not a professional Onan repairperson does not work on my friend's Onan generators - Why would you even risk your life trying to open it up and service it? You must first demagnatize the energy stored in the Onan otherwise you will probably die from electrocution.

Marine generators are different than the landlubber's models and must be serviced professionally.

Please do not attempt to service your Onan yourself as it could be fatal.

Oct 23, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Onan generator
    Hi, the generator is not a marine model for ships or boats.. I'm not going to open it up if it could be something small I could fix myself... Anyone have any ideas thanks
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2009, 10:24 AM

What part of you can't open a sealed unit don't you understand? It is sealed for your safety. Onan makes generators almost exclusively for marine use and use in rv's. Yours is obviously the rv type.

The only idea I have is to take it to a professional for repair by an Onan certified repairman. The codes should be coming up to help you troubleshoot your generator but if no codes or you can't just get the generator reset on your own you don't want to open up the sealed unit.

You won't get anyone on this site to help you open a sealed generator as we don't want to be responsible for any loss of life or limb. Thank you for coming to this site. Hopefully you take my advice and spend the money to get it professionally repaired. Are you that cheap that you would risk your life over a generator?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

I'm not sure about your exact brand, however the brushes/contacts could be bad. They are the two metal pieces that touch the steel rings that go around the coil. Over time they tend to wear down and fail... they are usually simple to replace.

This isn't usually a problem with new generators as they tend to use contactless technology. If it is a short within the core somewhere, usually you see a dark burn like mark on the wire coils, and that is pretty much not fixable.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Other than than, it maybe a problem with the relays or switching which I don't know much about. Most are built with all sorts of regulators and other digital tech.

Oct 23, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Onan
    Hey twinkie I am not trying to open the generator I am simply wondering if it could be the voltage regulator which is on the ouside of the unit... so don't worry about it

Oct 23, 2009, 12:29 PM

Hi,
    Onan is now a division of Cummins and I believe your manual is here:
    http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../983-0101B.pdf
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS Flashing is applying and voltage to the coils to create a field if there is no residual magnetism to cause field formation.

Oct 24, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Generator runs but no electricity
    Its an Onan marquis 7000 it runs great but produces no electricity... I have checked all breakers and fuses as well as the brushes it all seems good.. if it could be the voltage regulator is there a way to check it because I took it off but I could'nt get into it.. Maybe some other ideas please... Thanks for the help!
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 03:53 PM

If you insist on messing around with an Onan generator that costs anywhere between $4-$6,000 why don't you download a manual or trouble shooting repair manual from the net?

Or better yet for that kind of money why don't you spend the bucks and have it professionally repaired?

It could be something inside the sealed unit and NOT your regulator afterall. You could have burnt windings and no amount of messing around with the regular will fix that problem.

Oct 25, 2009, 08:12 AM

Hi,
    Did you even check that manual link I posted? Onans flash error codes that are trnaslated in the manual; admittedly many say to go to a dealer.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
    No codes it's a 91 model gen
    I don't think the onan generator flashes codes it's a 91 model and it doesn't have any screens on it to read out any codes
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 11:55 AM

If it was my Generator, and not under Warranty, I would read this and open if you are comfortable to work on it:

Onan Generator Troubleshooting Article

Oct 25, 2009, 12:28 PM

Hi,
    It is the Indicator Light that flashes to give the codes.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 25, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    It is the Indicator Light that flashes to give the codes.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    crigby it doesn't have and indicator lights.. any other ideas
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 03:35 PM

Was the troubleshooting link useful? Useless?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manuals for onan generator [ 1 Answers ]

I need manuals for onan generator model 2.5lk-1r/10545-j onan #900-0196 service parts 934-0229 or any of these 930-0220 900-0336 930-0221 if any one has copies I would really like to get them thank you

What is ONAN [ 5 Answers ]

What is meant by ONAN/ONAF?

Onan gen won't stay running [ 0 Answers ]

When the "start" switch is pushed the generator will start, when released it dies. I have determined the following In the start cycle it receives DC from the Battery for the fuel pump? When it is released and the generator is running it receives volts from dc section of voltage regulator on...

View more questions Search