Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
    duende08, ensure that the car passes the 3 basic diagnostic questions, in Sections A and B, of the Sticky. Next, clean the main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing, and clean the connector going to the MAP Sensor. Perform the K-Test on the ECM--should it fail, replace the ECM.

Because of the age and mileage on your Civic, I would also replace the Ignition Control Module and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

If you do everything above, I bet your problem will be solved.
    duende08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Thank you so much TX I found a solution for my car... I got some fuses blow out and also in the wrong place... but the main problem it was the main relay, wend I ask for the "main relay" on the store in the database come out a small relay with four pins after reading all your advice and follow the hyperlinks that you create to see the images of the main relay just to get and idea how looks and make sure that I replace the correct relay. I make an inspection and I found the Main relay hide behind the panel... I replace the relay ($12) for one used that I take for another car... I wish to buy new one but my economy is not so good in this times... Well Thanks again TX for your help and I going to safe your advice because are really useful...
    CoB_hatecrew Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Hey tx? I'm having a new issue with my honda, its flooding like crazy , replaced fuel pump, injector, regulator and filter, I think its finally the main relay, or fuel relay, what do you think?
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Check regulator and ECT.

Jul 15, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Already put a brand new regulator on it, ECT? Can you elaborate on what exactly that is?
    agireland Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Howdy TX, you seem to be pretty good with vehicles so I want to know what you think. I have an '89 Ford 250 pickup with the original naturally-aspirated 7.3L. I live in the blue ridge mountains of VA, and normally have to plug in the block heater overnight during the winter months. However when the weather turned warmer this spring, I was still having to plug it in so that it would start after one cycling of the glow plugs. It is now summer and the average overnight temperature is in the mid to upper 80s, and although I am not plugging the truck in, I have to cycle the glowplugs at least three times before the engine will catch and run. Even then it emits a noxious cloud of blue smoke until it warms up. I have a fair bit of experience with industrial marine diesel engines and I don't think it is burning oil or else it would smoke constantly. I am leaning toward replacing the injectors. What do you think?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
    agireland, have you tested the glow plugs? They may be bad.

Jul 16, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Are you going to tell me what an ECT is Tx or just leave me hangin?
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 12:37 PM
    After spending a lot of time working with you, in the past, you never came back and told us what got your car running. It's a two-way street and I was annoyed, to say the least. It was you who let me hang for a long time!

Jul 16, 2008, 01:30 PM
    No, I haven't. I had to replace one of them after the engine backfired on me on evening after it had been sitting for a few days and blew the top of the glow plug out of the block! (first time I've ever had a diesel engine backfire, and no, I didn't put any ether in it) But back to the topic, how do you test them? Normally I would asssume you could take a volt meter and test for continuity, but there is only one wire going into the top of each one. By the way, thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 02:28 PM
    agireland, see if this link helps:

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Jul 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
    I did not relize that it was required but now that I know I appolgize to you tx you have helped a lot and I would like to continue to work with you, so I will tell you all the problems I have had to fix, first we replaced the distri. And fuel pump and it ran great for about a month then it started over-heating big time, and we replaced the thermostat, that made it run for another two months, then the air idle control unit went out, replaced it, fixed the issue, car ran for another months, in which time I hit a big buck with my honda, and I'm glad to report only miner body damage, and some poo on the plate. Then I was picking my girlfriend up from school and I was giving it gas and it would die, I think , hey must be spark plugs. Replaced them started up and backfired, and it hasn't ran but I think once since that time, we have replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel injector, with brand new OEM replacements, and the main injector is still just spitting out way too much gas, thereby flooding the engine and it can't even start. I hope this is what you were looking for tx I could really use your help
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Apology is accepted. My "reward" is getting a report if the suggestions work or not.

ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor). The resistance of the thermistor decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It's a primary input to the ECM and affects fuel injector pulse width, similar to what the oxygen sensor does. It's located on the thermostat. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot.

Jul 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
    TX,
    That's an awesome website with tons of info about both new and older diesel trucks. I will test the glow plugs over the weekend and let you know if that's the problem. I am thinking right now it is, because I failed to mention that they sent me the wrong glow plug ( I had to get it from a dealership) and I have been driving around with a bolt in the hole that the glow plug is supposed to be in! I did that to prevent exhaust leak. I am waiting for them to get me the right one, but that website suggested replacing all of them at once. I am going to test them anyway, just to satisfy both of our curiosity. Thanks again and I will let you know how it works out.

Jul 17, 2008, 02:29 PM
    What would I do to check that because that part doesn't even come up in my haynes manual

Jul 17, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Would it be this part right here---> While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 03:29 PM
    That's it. The only two sensors that I know of that affect the injectors are the ECT and oxygen. See if my suggestion makes sense to you, since I have never seen flooding on a Honda.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Before buying a new ECT Sensor, I would advance the timing. This may be why your Civic is flooding; i.e. it won't start because the timing is too retarded and backfiring. Loosen the three distributor mounting bolts and rotate distributor 1/4" counterclockwise. If this solves the problem, you can place a timing light on it later to precisely set the timing.
    PRPPRIMO Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 05:16 PM
    TXGM, 91 civic. Cranks but no start. CEL illuminates/relay clicks and turns off after 2 seconds as advertised, as well as a hum from the fuel pump. Checked battery charge.12 volts + Good Checked all relevant fuses in the engine comp. and under dash. Good. Tested across the coil terminals .8 resistance Good. Tested for power to the ICM on both blk/yel & wht/blu 12 volts Good. Removed a spark plug with wire attached and spark is visible. Good
    Considered a possible fuel problem, sprayed carb cleaner in the intake while cranking, no difference.

Considering replacing the entire distributor either way, and fuel filter. 165k miles on engine.
    Would appreciate your assistance on getting this bad boy fired up.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
    First, install a new ICM and coil. Second, if the problem persists, transfer the new ICM and coil to a new genuine Honda distributor housing. Keep me posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Civic won't Start Or Turnover [ 33 Answers ]

I have had this car for about 6 years. Shortly after we got it (6 years ago) we drove to California from Utah. In Reno when we stopped for gas (had been driving for a long time in the heat with AC blasting and temp gauge was near red when we stopped) and then went to start the car. Nothing, no...

92 honda civic won't start PLEASE HELP [ 22 Answers ]

I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. Battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running,...

1990 Honda Civic won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am totally stumped with this, I have a 1990 Honda Civic with a 1989 Acura Integra Engine in it (Engine Swap), and it won't start. Nothing works, the lights, the radio, hazards, defogger absolutely nothing. Of course your thinking the battery is dead but I checked the battery and it...

84 Honda Civic won't Start? [ 3 Answers ]

I think the Battery terminals touched while I was fitting a new battery in & shorted out a fuse, but I can't find which 1 it blew, Can someone help me out here??

92 honda civic won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking for a place I could find some answers to my problem... and I found this forum.. anyway.. My 92 honda civic has an interesting problem. At one point it would barely start.. thinking it was sparkplugs,wires,rotor.. I replaced them all.. seemed to work greatly.. lacking money at...

View more questions Search