Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Advance Auto, Autozone, Honda, and RockAuto.com, among others, carry them. Make sure it's a Fuel Injection Main Relay for your year and model Civic. Here's an idea of what they should look like and cost:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ection%20Relay
    CoB_hatecrew Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 10:09 AM
    OK I took out the wrong thing it only has four prongs... how the hell do I get the main one out... do I have to take the dash off because I was upside down under my fuse box and could not find that main relay
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Did you turn your ignition switch on and off to help you locate it? Have someone else turn the switch on and off and you get down and listen on the passenger side of the car.

Are you sure the main relay doesn't have just 4 prongs on your year Civic?

I sent you the wrong link. Here's what your main relay should look like:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ection%20Relay

Dec 2, 2006, 10:21 AM
    I went on a site that posted pictures from a auto book for my year civic and it showed it to be on like the far left side close to the dash but all I can see is where the pillar connects to the body... and when I search for main relay for my year model and engine size it shows a main relay with either 7 or 8 prongs... its on the driver side for sure I just can't find it... and am really going to dread it if I have to take the dash apart to find it
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Here's another link showing your main relay has only a 4 pin connector:

http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?RY187.html

I think you found the main relay and just didn't believe it.

When you reinstall the main relay, relocate it so it's not so difficult to get to next tine.

Dec 2, 2006, 10:34 AM
    The one I got was on the driver side like behind and up a little from the hood latch popper... and the numbers don't match on that page to the one I have... every book I looked at locates my main relay on the driver side to the left of the fuse box and up a little
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 10:44 AM
    I must have been getting your year Civic confused with someone else's. Your's is on the driver's side, like I originally said in posting #17. Remove the under-dash fuse box cover and the 3 screws to the lower dash panel. The relay is attached with a 10 mm bolt.

Dec 2, 2006, 10:48 AM
    OK ill be back I'm going to go do that now

Dec 2, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Well I broke part of my dash but super glue will fix that... now should I test it to see if its bad and see if there is a shot connection or something
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 11:54 AM
    I recommend replacing them every 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

How many pin connector was yours?

Dec 2, 2006, 12:08 PM
    7 pins mitsuba
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Yes, just like mine. I replaced mine with a Mitsuba RZ-0159, which I bought through RockAuto.com.

Dec 2, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Mine is a RZ-0063
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Yes, RockAuto.com has a Mitsuba RZ-0063, RockAuto part no. 39400SH3003, for $36.79+shipping.

Dec 2, 2006, 12:50 PM
    Mines 48.79 with shipping... 42.79 with out shipping... what's up with that?
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Interesting. Maybe you live in a more expensive part of the country and they charge accordingly. I don't know.

Dec 2, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Still not as expensive as auto zone and advance... they don't even carry them normally and you have to pay more to get them special order... anyway I just want to thank you very much for all your help!
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 01:15 PM
    That Mitsuba you are ordering is an OEM part, too. Keep me posted with the results.

Dec 2, 2006, 02:15 PM
    Well I found out how to test the relay and it is fine... my check engine light is still on and it won't start... n e ideas now? I think the main relay might not be getting a charge from the batery because it doesn't click... but when I tested it directly it clicked... any ideas
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 03:06 PM
    With the main relay separated from the connector, turn the ignition on and measure the voltage between main relay connector terminal 5 and body ground.

Clean the ECM's main ground on the thermostat housing. It has 2 wires going to a heavy duty brass connector, which you should remove and clean with 240 grit abrassive cloth. Spray with WD-40 and refasten.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Civic won't Start Or Turnover [ 33 Answers ]

I have had this car for about 6 years. Shortly after we got it (6 years ago) we drove to California from Utah. In Reno when we stopped for gas (had been driving for a long time in the heat with AC blasting and temp gauge was near red when we stopped) and then went to start the car. Nothing, no...

92 honda civic won't start PLEASE HELP [ 22 Answers ]

I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. Battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running,...

1990 Honda Civic won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am totally stumped with this, I have a 1990 Honda Civic with a 1989 Acura Integra Engine in it (Engine Swap), and it won't start. Nothing works, the lights, the radio, hazards, defogger absolutely nothing. Of course your thinking the battery is dead but I checked the battery and it...

84 Honda Civic won't Start? [ 3 Answers ]

I think the Battery terminals touched while I was fitting a new battery in & shorted out a fuse, but I can't find which 1 it blew, Can someone help me out here??

92 honda civic won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking for a place I could find some answers to my problem... and I found this forum.. anyway.. My 92 honda civic has an interesting problem. At one point it would barely start.. thinking it was sparkplugs,wires,rotor.. I replaced them all.. seemed to work greatly.. lacking money at...

View more questions Search