Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cabinhow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 04:50 AM
    most efficient heat system
    added 24x28 addition with 20x28 basement for my mother to live in. she is very cold natured and I'm looking for the best/most efficient/cheapest type of heat for her. There will be a woodstove in the basement as backup/assist heat. She may need oxygen in the future, so can't have anything with open flame in her upstairs living space. Got a quote of $4500 for an amana heat pump system which sent me into sticker shock. Don't know what to do. Main source of heat in the rest of the house is a wood stove with a ventless gas heater in the kitchen for back up. Tank of gas will usually last me 2-3 years, so you can see I'm not used to high heating bills. Cut my own wood.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 05:01 AM
    There is no cheap heat anymore. Even wood cut yourself costs for the saw/spliter/truck to haul,etc. Overall the heat pump is your best bet since your mom will need A/C in the summer to cope with the heat and moisture since she has a breathing problem to start with. Also consider a good air filtration system for her.

This is your mother why would you worry about expense. You are spending money on the addition so do not cheat her on the HVAC. Remember she was the one who powedered your butt when you were very small and as you got older helped to teach you right from wrong. Do the right thing by her or you will not be happy with yourself when the day comes and she is gone.

If you are hard up for utility money let her pay for the electric for her share of usage out of her SSI check.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Oct 21, 2009, 06:56 AM

When are dealing with someone with breathing problems, yes, A/C will help as hvac has said.

If the addition can be zoned from the rest of the dwelling you could consider a PTAC for the addition. Other options are electric baseboard and some window units.

Post your utility costs including taxes and what options you have (oil, NG, propane, etc.) and we can give you some idea what will be least costly to operate. Also add what locale you are in to know how well something like an HP will work for you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 07:09 AM

I also agree with the AC issue with breathing problems.

I would like to add that hydronic radiant floor heat would be an option for heating

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System goes into aux heat [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced really and system goes int to aux heat

Hydronic heat system [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 21 unit builiding with a hydronic heat system with zone valves in each unit. Hot water flows slowly in the unit I am in but does not respond to thermostat. Old low voltage thermostat had three wires green red and yellow. Old thermostat was connected with green to the R terminal Red to...

More Heat from Hot air system [ 4 Answers ]

I have a forced hot air heating system. House is a small cape. About 1500 SF living area. I. use about 550 Gallons of heating oil in a season. With oil at $4.50 per gal.I want to try to squeeze more efficiency out of the system. Furnace is 24 years old. I know the new burners have a pre and post...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

System calling for heat but no response from system [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat is set to 25 which is higher than the current temperature but my heating system is not firing up.. we have hot water - the boiler is a Micron - the heating timer is set to "on" on the program setting, and so is hot water which is fine but we have no heating, it was on earlier and went...

View more questions Search