Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chrixis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
    Periodontal disease transmission
    I understand that periodontal disease can be transmitted through saliva. I have a friend that has it, and I would like for her to spend the night at my place. We would be sharing a bed and blanket, my question is, is it possible to get periodontal from just being in a room with her where she coughs or sneezes, laying down in the same bed with her, or kissing her on the cheek?
    Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 03:19 AM

You can do all of those things, just don't use her toothbrush, give mouth to mouth resucitation, or bite her tonge.

Tick
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Periodontal disease is not transmitted by airborne particles. As tickle said, don't share a toothbrush. I honestly don't think you'd even be at risk sharing a toothbrush once, not that you'd want to!:eek:

Oct 21, 2009, 07:09 PM

So I can't catch it from laying down with her or kissing her on the cheek then, right flossie?
    Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 07:11 PM

How old are you Chrixis. No you can't catch anything from just laying down beside her and kissing her cheek.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2009, 11:59 AM
    You are totally right Chrixis!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 02:20 PM

Peridontal disease can be spread by French Kissing the other partner.

Oct 23, 2009, 08:20 AM

Found this on another forum with the same topic. Is this true?

"Tarter and plaque is what causes periodontal disease. It's the build up around the tooth base that allows the bacteria to start to irritate the gums and then, if left there, dissolve the bone.

Because we all have this bacteria in our mouths all the time, you getting periodontal disease from someone else is very slim. All you have to do is follow a good brushing and flossing regimen like we all do.

You won't get periodontal disease from another person if you take care of your own teeth.
    It's only "catching" if your own oral hygiene is lacking. "
    Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 08:48 AM

The chance is still there, C hrixis. Using someone else's toothbrush can invite any number of diseases in your system.

You asked for advi ce here and we gave it. If you choose to look up other websites then that is prerogative. Flossie is a hygeinist and her advice is exemplary.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Thanks tick! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is periodontal disease contagious? [ 11 Answers ]

My boyfriend has periodontal disease. I recently noticed that sometimes when I don't floss for a time my gums bleed a little. Is that normal or is this disease contagious? :( My wisdom teeth are now emerging, so there is no pain to them as yet! Could they be the cause of the gum changes? Anyone...

Gum disease [ 2 Answers ]

I have periodontal disease. My boyfriend has a severe case of jock itch. Can my disease be infecting him? Is periodontal disease contagious by giving him oral sex?

Which Disease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been feeling abdominal pains, pelvic pains and chest pains, as well as pains along my ribbs when I breathe in deeply. Passing dark yellow urine, itching on my urethra and rashes on my urethra. I also have backache,tired limbs and sweating regularly. My stools are not regular and I can take...

Eye disease [ 1 Answers ]

I've been diagnosed with a fairly rare eye disease called parafoveal telelangiectasia. Is there anyone out there with the same disease who would like to chat and share medical, self experiences in dealing with this?

What is my disease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a young man of 27 years old。From childhood I was shame Personality.I used to avoid people and places .I used to be so nervous While Talking with people .I always used to seek company of my friends to go School , market .I used to feel safe in company of other people. I couldn't change...

View more questions Search