Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcmccj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2003, 06:40 PM
    Training
    I have a five year old lab and golden retriver mix. I have a problem with him listening to me outside. He listens good to commands inside but when I take him out or he breaks loose he will not come back to me. I have never hit or abused him . I don't know what to do about it. He knows what come, stay and other commands because he listens good in the house. What can I do to get him to listen to me so we both can be outside and enjoy it. Kay [email protected]??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2003, 07:13 PM
    training
    "Come" needs to be taught as part of proper pack status and obedience. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

If you dog is at least 4 - 5 months old, start with a good 6' leather leash and a sturdy slip collar, the metal chain ones with the rings on each end. You want the shortest one that will go on and off easily. If you walk with the dog on the left, pull the chain through one loop forming a "P". Facing it, slip it over its head. The free end should come over the neck to the leash, and the other end should drop slack when there is no pull on the leash. Before 4 months use a conventional flat collar to protect the tender young neck.

With the dog at the end of the leash, call its name and "Come" in a firm voice. If it comes, praise it lavishly and pet it. If it doesn't come, repeat the command and give the leash a light snap. Keep it up with firmer leash snaps until the dog does come. Do not forget the praise. Then switch to a longer leash or rope, about 25'. When it comes well on the longer leash, you should be able to go to off leash in a fenced area, etc. Once the dog is doing well, introduce come, treat. This is for emergencies only when the dog has gotten loose accidentally. Use it routinely and you will have nothing to fall back on when your dog is headed for a busy street. "Name, come treat!" is little different from the regular "Name, come!", except the dog gets a great treat when it comes. We are taking a hot dog, cheese, etc. much better than any treat you use routinely.

Relying on come to control most dogs loose outside is risky, and I do not recommend it. Dogs are individuals. Some can be trained to come when you have no way to enforce it, but some will never be completely reliable even for the most experienced trainers.
    lcmccj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2003, 04:50 PM
    training
    Thanks for the help I'll try what you said to do. Kay ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Training for 5K [ 2 Answers ]

I've reluctantly agreed to do a 5K one month from today- I'm overweight (5' 5" and 170lbs:( ) and very out of shape so I need to start training. Any suggestions on how to start? Currently the only exercise I get outside of normal daily activities of caring for a home and 2 small children is...

Cardio Training [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I can currently jog 2.5 miles at 7.5 MPH with minimal difficulty. I am an 18 yr. old male athlete (baseball), and I am seeking to obtain maximum cardiovascular training. Can anyone recommend a (proven) regimen for me to follow? Many thanks :-) Mark R.

Training to lie down [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get our 3 1/2 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback to stay down. She will sit on command and she will lie down if we are using a treat reward but she will not stay lying down. With a treat in my palm I will slowly drop my hand to the floor and then away from her and give the command down...

Job training [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Ghanaian and completed my Tertiary education in 2004,had done my national service.I have had a hard time finding job because I am told during interview that I have no job training. I did mechanical eng. Ples help me out Nat

Leash training [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know at what age to begin leash training with a puppy... I actually started my 12 week Chihuahua in the kitchen and rewarding him when he walks with the leash. When I get him outside he's OK for about 5 minutes and then all the sudden he begins to tug and cry so I immediately take the...

View more questions Search