Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tech2480 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 01:09 AM
    1999 Saturn SL2
    Does anyone have the torque sequence and specs for a 1999 Saturn SL2, 1.9L DOHC on the cylinder head bolts. I came to Maui from MN to help a friend of mine fix their car and I grabbed all the hardware I needed to do everything but I forgot to get the specs. It's already 10 pm on Monday night and I need to get this done and tested by tomorrow night!! Please help me! I will be forever in debt to whoever can help!

Oct 20, 2009, 01:39 AM
    Sorry I meant to reply instead of answer.

Oct 20, 2009, 01:43 AM

But apparently it doesn't matter...
    I also need the camshaft bearing cap and timing gear-to-camshaft torque specs, please.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 05:32 AM

First Pass 30 Nm (22 lb. ft.)
    Second Pass 45 Nm + 90°(33 lb. ft. + 90°)

Name:  1a.gif
Views: 2404
Size:  2.2 KB

Camshaft spec: 14 Nm (124 in. lbs.)
    Gear spec: 103 Nm (76 lb. ft.)

Name:  1b.gif
Views: 2679
Size:  11.5 KB

IMPORTANT: This engine is assembled with torque-to-yield cylinder head bolts which should not be reused. Whenever a cylinder block or head bolts are replaced, install the cylinder head and torque the bolts to 65 Nm (48 lbs ft). Next, remove the bolts, coat the threads with clean engine oil and follow the torque angle procedure steps. Torquing the bolts one time prior to following the torque angle steps insures proper clamp load is achieved.

Oct 20, 2009, 03:07 PM

Thank you very much sir!! U wouldn't happen to know the torque spec for the balancer bolt?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 08:25 PM

Many times, and with many manufacturers, the general torque specs, etc, are shared with the aftermarket.

Harmonic balancer: 215 Nm (159 in. ft. lbs.)

Good luck on yer rebuild..

Oct 27, 2009, 05:00 PM

Yeah thanks... crappy thing is is after I had it all put back together and ran it, it was leaking oil from between the head and the block!! Extremely frustrating! Come to find out the head gasket that I originally got was missing a piece to cover an oil passage! So I had to rip everything back apart and do it all over again, not to mention that I had to extend my stay for a little over a week now. Before all of this happened and even before I came someone here said that I should buy everything before I come and make sure you have EVERYTHING!! Getting parts in on Maui is like pulling teeth! The other lesson I learned from all of this is when you're dealing with Saturns in particular go only by the VIN!

Another question that occurred to me is by what device do I use to remove the keepers on the valve springs to replace the stem seals? A standard C clamp style compressor won't do it and I've looked on the internet without much success. Any ideas or even better any ideas where I could make something to work with my spring compressor?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 07:24 PM

Extending yer sta in Maui... Let's hear the down side of that...
    Yes, the VIN. So many product updates and mid-line changes.

There are so many ways to remove the keepers, too many to list here, regardless the heads on or off. Some are better than others. This is becoming far too much of a project for your road call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saturn in Virgo in the fourth house with a current Saturn return [ 3 Answers ]

I have Saturn in Virgo in the fourth house with a current Saturn return, any thoughts on this and its effects on my chart specifically? My natal chart: Planetary positions Planet sign degree motion Sun Sagittarius 22°20'54 in house 6 direct Moon Libra 29°19'23 in house 5 direct...

1999 saturn sl2 twin cam eng service engine soon light [ 1 Answers ]

Engine light just came on code is p1404 code does not match my car auto zone said.. my car needs inspection bad please help ,does anyone know what this code means thanks need help:(

1999 saturn sl2 ( air conditioning) [ 1 Answers ]

I got a can of cool stuff from auto zone now I need to now where and what to hook it up to?? Thanks:eek:

How to adjust idle, 1999 Saturn SL 5 speed? [ 1 Answers ]

Check engine light indicates car idles high...

View more questions Search