Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CDLOPEZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Bank Account Levy-froze Student Loan Funds
    I had outstanding credit card debt 5 yrs ago and am in the process of settling all accts. However, I deposited my STUDENT LOAN CHECK in my bank account, and I guess because of the higher balance a lawyer firm that I had no idea was suuing me because they sent all correspondence to the wrong address, FROZE UP ALL MY STUDENT LOAN money. Is there any clause or something to prevent them from taking the money that came from financial aid?:confused:

<3 Christine
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Hello CD:

The creditor doesn't care where the money came from. It went in your account. They have a judgment. They took it.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
    You will have to try, ( if at all possible) to file a motion in court to release that money to the school. But siince it was your money ( although ti was suppose to go to the school) You may not be able to get it back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Levy on Account, Wife's Debt, Help [ 11 Answers ]

An attorneys office placed a levy on our bank accounts 1 week ago today for a debt my wife owes. I am currently separated from my wife, however, she is on the account. She does not work and all the money in this bank account came from my direct deposit and I need it to support our 3 children. This...

Leaving funds in US account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I will be moving to the US from the UK on an H1-B visa for a job that lasts 3 years. At the end of that period, I expect to have saved a sum of money in a US bank account. My question is this: Am I allowed to keep a bank account open in the US under my name when I leave permanently and,...

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

Garnished bank account funds [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter...

View more questions Search