Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Oct 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
    Farmer's tan? "How to Get Rid of Farmer's Tan" Article
    Full article @ link below... I've quoted parts of possible interest

How to Get Rid of Farmers Tan - howtogetridofstuff.com

How to Get Rid of Farmers Tan

Posted By admin On November 25, 2008 @ 9:52 pm In Beauty, Household | No Comments

If you can’t give up farming because you are making a living out of it, you should at least give up one thing that you get from it — a farmer’s tan.

A farmer’s tan is perhaps the type of tan line you wouldn’t want to have, especially during summer. It doesn’t show the area on your skin covered by your bikini or your trunks especially after going to the beach. A farmer’s tan is a type of tan line covering only neck and arms. When you take of your shirt, the upper part of your arm, including your whole torso and chest, are white or unaffected. Your shoulders appear immaculately white while the rest of your arms are deeply tanned. You get a farmer’s tan if you spend too much time under the sun with an A-shirt or a muscle shirt on. As its name implies, farmers are most likely to get this condition.

Looking sun-kissed is gorgeous but looking like you have been working too much in your backyard is not good at all. You need to get rid of your farmer’s tan as soon as possible. You can’t remove your farmer’s tan overnight but you can do something. Here are a few tips.

Goodbye to the Marks of Farming

* Speed up the process of removing a farmer’s tan by exfoliating regularly. Soak in a hot tub or use a body scrub. Exfoliating is important in getting rid of a farmer’s tan because you are gradually removing your dead cells. With this, the original skin tone comes out of your flesh earlier than you thought it will. Exfoliating is not difficult at do. You just need patience in scrubbing your body while taking a bath. A new loofah [1] will be most effective, as it is still crunchy and rough. Your dead, tanned skin cells will surely have fun sliding from your skin down to your tub’s sink.

* You can re-assign your farming activities to someone else if that’s possible. No matter how much you exfoliate everyday and no matter how many times you apply a whitening cream [2] on your skin, you won’t see any changes until you finally decide to stop exposing your body under the sun. Prevent more damage by staying indoors especially during the hottest hours. If you desperately need to get your work done in your garden or in the farm, then you should at least bring an umbrella or wear sun screen [3] while working.

* You also need to get rid of blotchiness. The best way to combat this problem is to dampen your skin and massage it in a circular direction with dry baking soda (For other uses of baking soda, see 75 extraordinary uses for baking soda [4]). You can trust this method because aside from being safe and effective, it is also easy to do especially at home.

* Soaking is another effective way of getting rid of a farmer’s tan. Soak in the tub for long hours. Soaking helps soften the skin, making the dead cells easier to remove. In fact, soaking itself is an effective and effortless form of exfoliating.

* Why don’t you try using a self-tanner [5]? If you want to try this, remember to use it only on the untanned area. If you use this on the already-tanned part of your body, you will only make the tanned area darker.

* You can reduce your farmer’s tan by using lotions with alpha hydroxy [6] or AHA. Products with hydrogen peroxide [7] should also be used. You can use this by applying a small amount in a swab of cotton and run it through the tanned areas, or simply apply it directly on your skin. Don’t use hydrogen peroxide or lotions with AHA on sensitive areas since these chemicals are strong....
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

Oct 20, 2009, 08:37 AM

I noticed that this artcle mentioned Hydrogen peroxide. I loved using this but someone mentioned that it might not be good for the skin. I wonder if I can use it maybe 2 or 3 times a week or so, because I do like the way it makes my skin.

Oct 20, 2009, 01:15 PM

I haven't tried hyd. Peroxide myself. I read somewhere (here or at SCT) that mixing it with certain other lighteners can cause darkening.

So, from what I understand it would have to be used alone?
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 08:42 PM
    I considered using it before, but changed my mind because people were saying that the lightening results are very temporary.

Oct 21, 2009, 07:48 AM

Do you mean temporary as in hours or days or months ? I know I was using it for a couple of months and the lightening was really good but then heard about the darkening when combined with certain products and also somebody mentioned collagen breakdown.

I really only want to go back to using it maybe a couple of times a week and only once a day. I am so tempted as I am in a "darker" stage at the moment and feeling a bit fed up. I wish Rosa skin care would get their stuff back in stock because I was really getting a great complexion that was consistent.

By the way am I the only one currently using HP. Anyone else able to give feedback...
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 08:39 PM
    On the thread hy. Peroxide thread, someone mentioned their skin would redarken by the end of the day or within a few days later after use. Also mentioned that it has the appearance of lightened skin because it burns off the top layer of the skin, similar to peels. I had lost interest.

Oct 22, 2009, 07:35 AM

I never got any darkening whilst using it, maybe a little when I stopped using it.
    Boricua1 Posts: 179, Reputation: 14

Oct 22, 2009, 11:57 PM

I had an ill farmer's tan after leaving the military... that stayed with me for two years even sfter I got out and stopped havng to be in the sun with my sleeves rolled up...

I decided to use kojic acid soaps and lotion.. the diana stadler products.. bought them on eBay... worked for that but it took a long time like 4-6 months everyday using it... as well as using sunblock, and avoiding long exposure...

Not too effective in any furhter overall lightening.. but I like the sopas and lotions anyway... the soap lasts forvever and lathers well...
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 10:31 PM
    Yeah the soaps can last for some time, I used to cut mine not 3 pieces to help it last longer and they cut every easily. DS cremes and lotion were to small for me though and I went through them very quickly, although the crème had a nice consistency.

Oct 26, 2009, 05:42 PM

More FTs.. can u tell I'm getting obsessed?

)))))))))

I remember my dad (R.I.P.) having this one a lot.:p

This is great

Urban Dictionary: farmer's tan

An Athlete?s Guide to The Farmer?s Tan | Endurance Sports Editorials
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EggoMini View Post
    Whoah, this one caught my attention!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Bleaching destroyed my skin" - BBC Article - Bio Claire Mentioned [ 20 Answers ]

As mentioned in the thread title, came across this article some might find interesting: BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Africa Have Your Say | 'Bleaching destroyed my skin' Also, I'm not 100% sure whether she's saying bio claire caused problems, or something else she used along with bio claire. Can...

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Information/Article: Protect Your Dog From a "Vaccine Junkie" [ 2 Answers ]

Here is the information/file I referred to in one of my answers regarding dog vaccines. I encourage anyone to read this, especially those with animals as well as those who care for them. 16674

View more questions Search