Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acct4dummy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Hired a secretary to be paid 1500 on the 20th day of each month. She works immediate
    Help please
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 04:52 PM

So, yes, and what do you want to know about it. She starts on the 20th, that is tomorrow. When she works a full month she gets her pay. Why is she being paid once a month ? Normal is once a week, so divide that by four. Is she having anything deducted from her pay, state taxes, employment insurance, etc. If you are hiring people you had better undersand the pay scale, deductions, etc.

Where are you from ?

Tick
    acct4dummy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 04:54 PM

Am trying to do a journal entry, under what acc names would I put it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 05:01 PM

Why didn't you say that originally. This website will explain, I hope:

http://www.accountingcoach.com/onlin...e/20Xpg06.html
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 01:59 AM
    Why is she being paid once a month ? Normal is once a week, so divide that by four.
    First, it's not true that "normal" is once a week. I've been paid all sorts of different ways. I have two jobs and both pay semi-monthly. I've also been paid once a month and once a week and bi-weekly. This might depend on location, but we don't know where she's located.

Second, you cannot take a monthly pay scale and divide by 4. There's never been 28 days in a month except for February, so that mathematically just doesn't work.

Third, it's the homework help forum so it may not matter at all. It just is what the problem says it is. On the other hand, I'm a bit suspicious about it actually being homework.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 02:08 AM

The link tickle gave you does reasonably explain the entries, but when I tried the link it didn't work, so I'm going to try again:
    Payroll Journal Entries For Salaries | AccountingCoach.com

There's more to payroll than just making the entries. Are you comfortable with figuring out the tax amounts, etc. Is this actually homework? Do you just need entries for the payroll itself or have to do adjusting entries? I just find it a bit odd for a homework problem to specify someone getting paid on the 20th of each month, and starting immediately.

Something a little odd about the whole thing for being under homework help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My tenant has a month-to-month lease and has not paid rent-- NYC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a subletter in my apartment and she only has an oral agreement to stay here and she has been here for more than 30 days. First, she said she'd move at the end of last month, but on the last day she told us she was staying. When my husband asked her for the rent, she started screaming...

Received a bill of $1500 in a month, what should I do with AT&T ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a AT&T mobile customer, I used to call to INDIA, but this month I received a bill about $ 1500 only for July month , I really surprised , I was unaware that if I use calling card to INDIA, they charged me this much. What should I do now? And what happens, if I don't pay that amount, anyway...

The accounts used for paid secretary [ 2 Answers ]

Which accounts do I use?Is it the salaries expense and the accounts payable?

Summer project in Germany, students would be paid by 1500 EURO/month [ 0 Answers ]

3RD SUMMER PROGRAM IN ALTERNATIVE SPLICING We are looking for 10 natural science or medical undergraduate students for a four-week paid work/study summer program, sponsored by a European Commission grant. The objective of this summer program is to create a manually maintained computer...

View more questions Search