Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SusanCher89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 03:09 PM
    geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square
    Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 04:33 AM

Well, you can do it fairly easily with the help of a sketch. On graph paper, your square will have a vertice on the origin and two vertices on the x and y axes. Have dotted lines on the lines y=1 and x=1. Then, graph the line y=1/2 and y=x. I guess your '/' in your probability means 'and'. Then, find the area below the line y=1/2, which is above the line y=x.

Below y = 1/2 because the value has to be less that 1/2.
    Above y = x because the values has to be larger than x.

Put the resulting area over the area of the square to have your probability.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Well, you can do it fairly easily with the help of a sketch. On graph paper, your square will have a vertice on the origin and two vertices on the x and y axes. Have dotted lines on the lines y=1 and x=1. Then, graph the line y=1/2 and and y=x. I guess your '/' in your probability means 'and'. Then, find the area below the line y=1/2, which is above the line y=x.

Below y = 1/2 because the value has to be less that 1/2.
    Above y = x because the values has to be larger than x.

Put the resulting area over the area of the square to have your probability.
    Oops, now that I learned about conditional probabilities, I see that his is wrong.
    The way you would solve it using the method I described would give you 1/8, but the answer is actually 1/4.

This is because:

So, for anyone who'd like to solve it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conditional probability [ 1 Answers ]

Of the drivers who stop at a gas station, 89% purchase gasoline, and 6% purchase both gasoline and oil. A total of 9% purchase oil. (a) What is the probability that a driver purchases gasoline, given that he or she purchases oil? Round your answer to 2 decimal places. (b) What is the...

Geometry: Area of a Square in a Circle [ 1 Answers ]

So, I am trying to determine how to to find the area of a square that is inscribed in a circle. The only information I have is that the circumference of the circle is 10 inches. So from here I have determined that: Diameter is 3.18 (10/pi) Radius is 1.59 So I would think with that...

How I get the same result without using formula and using the conditional probability [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose I draw two cards from a standard deck without replacement. Given that the first card is an ace, what is the probability that the second card is a queen? I want to solve the problem without using formula and using conditional probability rule.

Conditional Probability [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble with these probabilities. Did I do them correctly? 2. A survey of undergraduate students in the School of Business at Northern University revealed the following regarding the gender and majors of the students: ...

View more questions Search