Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Wards 500 Gas Heater
    After spending several hours in the house I get tiered after getting a mild headache. I suspect the heat exchanger in my old Wards furnace is cracked. Is a replacement going to be a big deal? A neighbor just had this done and it had taken two service guys over five hours to accomplish. When I asked was it expensive, their eyes glazed over and they fell out.

I'm in Alexandria Virginia and hope to find a shop that will sell me a replacement for the exchanger. I've got good hands and have replaced the blower, thermocouple, transformer, and thermostat without a embarrassing myself or demanding $700 and a pat on the back.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu
    After spending several hours in the house I get tiered after getting a mild headache. I suspect the heat exchanger in my old Wards furnace is cracked. Is a replacement going to be a big deal? A neighbor just had this done and it had taken two service guys over five hours to accomplish. When I asked was it expensive, their eyes glazed over and they fell out.

I'm in Alexandria Virginia and hope to find a shop that will sell me a replacement for the exchanger. I've got good hands and have replaced the blower, thermocouple, transformer, and thermostat without a embarrassing myself or demanding $700 and a pat on the back.
    A newer, more efficient furnace with good warranties will be a better investment. Obtain bids from well established companies. In my market we are one of the more expensive companies. We will install a 90+% efficient NG furnce, Rheem/Ruud for about $3000. Maytag with a 10 year part and labor warranty for about $3700. And a Weatherking for about $2600. 80% efficient furnaces are about 800-900 dollars less. Look on-line for a HVAC opperating cost calculator to find out how much money you can save on you utilities over time. Often new equipment will pay for itself in only 5 years. New equipment with DC smart moters can save hundreds of doolars in electrical savings. They will also make an older 8 seer air conditioner save as much money as a 9 seer unit. Too often I've seen people replace a heat exchanger then next year it's a gas valve then the next year its something else. What ever you decide warranties are worth a lot of money. Check with your local BBB to see if the contractor is good. See Consumer reports and J D Powell for best rated equipment. I may be biased because of what we sell, but I also feel good about what I sell because it is good and durable. Modern furnaces do need serviced more frequently than older natural draft models, but you can always find preseason furnace tune ups for under $100.00. These are a good idea for anybody to do, they could have found that crack before the furnace poisoned you, or worse.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Expanding on the above post. Yes, repairing the Wards may be money down the drain. If you are handy, you may find a contractor to work with you allowing you to set the pieces, run the lines, the wiring, connect the ducts, etc. That is what I did about 10 years ago, leaving the tricky setup, adjustment, silver soldering the Freon lines, charging the unit, etc. to licensed professionals.

Look at your furnace and what all you will have to remove and replace to change the heat exchanger. Remember, it is very important to have a good seal between the combustion side and the supply side.

In Northern Virginia, you may want to look at skimping on the furnace. With your shorter heating season, the pay back may be longer. Instead, put the extra dollars into a good A/C.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman gas heater [ 9 Answers ]

I have a modelgmpn120-5 gas heater.. today I had gas company look at it.. it runs good for a while.. then shuts down... I go down take a black vacuum hose off.. it has water in it.. I empty it.. heater runs.. today the guy from the gas company said the secodary heat exchanger was bad... how much...

Intertherm Gas Heater Fan On Off Switch [ 6 Answers ]

If You Take The Cover Off The Heater There Is A Small Black Switch That Says Fan Off On. What Should This Be On. If It Is Off The Heater Will Not Blow Or Light Or Anything. If It Is On It Makes A Constant Low Buzzing Sound But The Heater Will Come On And Heat Should It Make This Sound.. THE FAN...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

Gas water heater in a crawl space? [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking for a gas hot water heater I can instal in a crawl space. I have 3-4 feet of headroom. It needs to be big enough to supply all the hot water for a 4 bedroom house. However the water system does not supply enough water for 2 showers at once. Bosh makes a tankless heater that would...

Gas Heater Turns and Off every two minutes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Our Gas Heater turns on and then after a short burst stops. I observed that the Gas flames start and stop every two minutes even though temperature that I set on thermostat has not been reached. Is this normal? Over the long run house heats up to the my require heat but I suspect this...

View more questions Search