Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2003, 04:55 PM
    Cross Breed Dog
    Inbreeding brings out recessive traits. Closely related dogs are more likely to have the same recessive problems. I have heard of deliberately breeding siblings to see if there are problems. If that doesn't produce problems, then likely there won't be problems breeding to other dogs. So the answer is maybe, maybe not. A cross breeding is less likely to produce problems than 2 dogs of the same breed.

I am trying to sort this out. Am I correct that your Akita is a male and was allowed to breed with a female from a litter he sired with the Belgian Shepherd? Accidents do happen, and there are legitimate reasons to breed crosses. However this sounds to me like some of the irresponsibly that leads to millions of dogs being slaughtered in the shelters for lack of good homes. You are keeping one puppy from this last litter, but will all the rest have good homes? I really hate to criticize responsible people who are not part of the problem, but if you had done even a start on the research you need to do before being able to make good decisions, you would not have posed this question here. The AKC has a great discussion about responsible breeding on their web site at www.akc.org. Please go there and read it.

--------------------------------------
    Something funny has happened here. I posted the above in response to a question where a dog bred its daughter. The question is gone leaving my answer as a question.

Saying why a dog does something can be difficult, let alone explaining a web site.

Check out some similar questions!

Ready to breed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old dachshund dotson dog, we have recently found someone who has a female dotson,they want to breed her with my dog. Here's my question,how often does a female dotson go into heat,and aproxmicly when? With me having a male I have no idea. Also they don't want to give us the pick...

Pointer breed [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a pointer from the humane society about 6 weeks ago. I want to know if anyone knows of a website for pointers. I want to know about them.

What breed is our puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

Pet store sold us a "poodle" -- but our Vet and groomer say he is not a poodle; perhaps a Havanese or a mix. Breeder and store owner will not admit an error, and breeder refuses to provide photos of dam and sire. There must be an expert who can identify the breed of this puppy.. . Help!

The decision to breed! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a few questions which maybe someone can help me with. I've trawled the web for hours and just seem to go in circles! 1) What is the average size of a litter? 2) Is it safer to breed a medium/large size dog? (I have a bitch rough collie) 3) What is the best age for a bitch...

How old to breed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female daschund 5 1/2 month old how old does she has to be before she could start breeding?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search