Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vorpageld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Filing Federal Taxes Jointly and State Taxes Separately
    My husband and I are both on Active Duty in the Military, and we were married in May of this year so this will be the first year filing Jointly.
    Is it sensible to file joint federal taxes and separate state taxes this year (Wisconsin and Maryland) even though we are both stationed and living in Virginia?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Most states require you file the state returns the same way as you file your federal return, i.e. in your case, jointly.

However, even though you are filing jointly, you will declare ONLY the income that is subject to that state tax. In other words, you declare YOUR income to YOUR state and HIS income to HIS state. When you file the state returns, attach a copy of the other state's return for information purposes.

Since I am retired military, I have some expertise in this area, so, should you find this tax to be a bit too much for you to handle, you can contact me at [email protected] for detailed advice if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forms for Filing Federal/state taxes ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I recently (in Aug -08) moved from India in US (ca).. and later my wife and my daughter (2.8 yrs) joined me in Nov-08.. I am on H1B here.. I used Turbotax, calculated my tax and took printout and have filed the Federal tax by going at Taxpayer center.. I have filled 1040A attached W2...

Filing Jointly for Federal with NRA spouse, what about GA State? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a citizen and married a foreign spouse. We are in the process of immigration proceedings but that's another topic :) Anyway, I found out that for this year, we can file jointly for Federal Income Taxes with a W-7 form applying for an ITIN. I'm using TurboTax to prepare my...

(I -551)filing taxes jointly vs filling as married but separately [ 3 Answers ]

Is it it in order for a conditional PR (married to a USC) to file taxes as married but filling separately?(both returns depict our primary residence address)... this will be proof of evidence for a bona fide marriage as we prepare to have the conditions lifted in two years.Will this be suspect in...

Different state employees filing married jointly for federal but separate state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

We got married in Dec 06 month. We want to file federal tax 2007 married jointly. She lives in Alabama and I live in Wisconsin. I am a resident alien and she is not. For federal, I can apply 1040 R, jointly married. My question is whether we have to file state tax married jointly? If I file...

Spouse and I live in MA and MD - Filing status for Federal & State taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I lived and worked in MA and my spouse lived and worked in MD for the whole year of 2008. Looking at some of similar questions, it appears that for federal taxes we can file as Married Filing Jointly. However we are not sure of what to do for our respective states. Any advice would be...

View more questions Search