Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassybible7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 12:30 AM
    Can I get custody of my 7 yr old niece?
    My sister is and has been in trouble with the law. The house she lives in is a drug inhabited environment and my sister is high on pills 98% of the time or more. How can I go about getting custody of my niece. Please help!
    NightGoddess Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 12:47 AM

Maybe try making an arrangement with your sister before taking it any further.

I have no experience in this matter. But I would suggest to document everything, take pictures, collect data, even get statements from people, and get enough evidence. Make a diary of what your niece go through every day. Then take it further.

Oct 18, 2009, 01:53 AM

I have tried to make arrangements with my sister and she got really mad. She uses my niece as leverage and if she don't have that she has nothing.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 02:02 AM

Call cps. But again who is to say they would giver her to you and not put her in foster care. Although from what you have stated she may be better off removed and put with anyone at this point. You can also let the school know what is going on, and by law they must report.

Oct 18, 2009, 02:13 AM

I don't want her to end up in foster care because who is to say it would be any better
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 02:15 AM

How much worse can it really be
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 03:49 AM

CPS is very unlikely to put a child in foster care when there is a close blood relative interested in taking custody.

I would call them and discuss your concerns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting custody of my niece [ 3 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if it was possible to get custody of my niece, or would I be wasting my time and money in the courts?

Trying to get custody of my niece [ 1 Answers ]

I want to look into getting custody of my 3 year old niece. My sister is a drug addict and has not be taking care of her properly for a long time. I took my niece from her because she is doing drugs in front of her. I am assuming that you could say I have her illeagly. I mean my sister knows she is...

Want to take custody of my 5yr old niece [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, my name is Tanya, I'm 21 yrs old, single and in the military. I want to take custody of my 5 yr old niece and also find a good place for her sisters 17 month old twins. Their mother uses drugs and does not take care of them like she's supposed to. My brother who's her father is going...

Want custody of my niece... [ 6 Answers ]

I want to take custody of my niece but I'm not sure where to turn. She is three years old and has already lived through more stuff than I have. My brother is in a bad situation and she is not being taken care of. I would like to approach him with this but I want to know the facts first. I also know...

View more questions Search