Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dguerr Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
    None of the power outlets on my 2004 Toyota Highlander are supplying electric current
    I need to know more about this problem before bringing it to the dealer. The 2004 Toyota Highlander has three power outlets for things such as laptop computers and cell phones. Mine worked well until recently. Now none of them works.

I checked the manual and it gave the location of one fuse that is in a box under the hood. That fuse is OK.

The last time this happened the dealer said it was a fuse and charged quite a bit of money to replace it, as I recall. That is why the fuse was the first thing I checked.

The old inverter looks like it has a burned out fuse, but I already had bought a new converter.

I tried the new inverter and it would not work in any outlet.

I also tried other accessories that plug directly into the outlet and they would not work.

My questions now:

Would the original car battery. That still starts the car easily, stop supplying current to the outlets even if everything else is OK? I was told by the dealer that it was running low, but did not change it because the car is starting OK.

The manual lists one fuse for all these outlets and I found it, I think and it is good. Is it possible there are other fuses that either did not show up, or I did not see, in the manual?

Is there anything I might have done to disable the outlets? I have successfully used them for years, without problems, so this is unlikely, I feel.

A worry I now have is that my Apple iPhone no longer takes a charge. Could the electrical system in the car have damaged the iPhone when I plugged it?

Thanks for your help.:confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 11:38 PM

Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 06:48 AM

Pull the coin pocket left hand lower dash. The fuse panel is behind it.
    Check the left side row, 3rd one down. It's labeled "cig", replace that one and try again.
    tgb3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Spot on kitch428!
    I registered with this site just to say Thank You!

Cheers,
    Tom
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2014, 08:22 PM
    You're welcome. Glad I helped. This is a common problem as we plug in all kinds of our devices, and "some" just tend to draw too much current in the path of that fuse.
    Just make sure the flip cover is closed when not in use so coins or metal objects don't get into the power outlet socket.
    If the charge or device cable is getting old and well used, replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 Toyota Highlander Intermittent Extended Crank [ 6 Answers ]

My Toyota Highlander has an extended crank every day or two. I usually have to turn the key off and back on to get it to start. Sometimes it starts and then sputters out and dies immediately. Sometimes if I tap the gas while it's cranking, it will start. Is it normal for this to happen in one...

How to replace headlamp on 2004 Toyota Camry [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace a headlamp on a 2004 Toyota Camry? Thanks!

Barke rotors 2004 toyota coralla [ 4 Answers ]

I can not get the rotors off does the nut have to come off?

2007 toyota highlander [ 2 Answers ]

What is the warranty on 2007 toyota highlander

Suggestions on supplying power to mobile home? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a motorcycle and electronics repair shop (yeah, I know - what a combination, but that's a story for another time) on about an acre of land. I am having a mobile home moved in behind my shop. There is a power service pole with meter socket and breaker box already set about 20 feet away from...

View more questions Search