Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gprice58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 02:40 PM
    How to determine the best/most appropriate major
    My daughter is a freshman in college. She went in thinking she definitely wanted to be an Art Therapist... :) Now she is not so sure... :confused: Any tips on the best way to direct her aside from having her talk to her advisor who, by the way is not very helpful.. :rolleyes: Thanks so much!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 17, 2009, 02:56 PM

That sometimes happens, going to colllege for what you think will be a great profession, but ending up being doubtful. Can she get out of that network for a while, work a bit in retail or in a gallery, and then decide what she wants to do. She needs to look at in a different perspective to actually make up her mind.

Tidk
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Hi, gprice58!

How about taking her to where she might be able to "shadow" a person for a day or two who works in the type of profession or professions in which she might be interested?

Thanks!
    setexenv Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Oct 29, 2009, 02:09 PM

Why isn't she so sure anymore? That'd be important to understand. Also, her level of maturity might determine how much help she needs or doesn't need in making this decision. What are her grades like? If a person isn't committed to learning, it makes no difference what their major is! It would be great if she could answer this question, "What field of study am I passionate about?" If she can answer this question, then the issue is resolved. I could talk for an hour or so about young students not having a clue what they want to major in, but that's not very productive here. The plain simple truth is that there are so many specialty fields of endeavor out there it's difficult to know, but you have to narrow start at the top and narrow it down from. Arts/Science, if science, physical or biological, if physical, laboratory or field work... hope this helps some.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Nov 1, 2009, 09:48 AM

Hi,
    Has your daughter worked with a career counselor at school? They provide career assessment tests that are free and they work closely with the students to assist them in finding the proper fit.

Click Here: YouTube - How to Choose the Right Career

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determine the value of d [ 1 Answers ]

A long, straight wire lies on a horizontal table and carries a current of 1.25 ľA. In a vacuum, a proton moves parallel to the wire (opposite the current) with a constant speed of 2.95e4 m/s at a distance d above the wire. Determine the value of d. You may ignore the magnetic field due to the Earth.

How do you determine the value of a franchise? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been working for a sign franchise for the past 4 years and now wants to purchase it from the owners. We have given them a letter of intent, but the owners are still getting all the numbers and paper work together. We are aware of several items on their inventory that are "repairable"...

Can't Determine If There Is a Common [ 4 Answers ]

Can't determine if there is a 24vac common on my old Bryant. How do you add one ?

Determine if I'm pregnant. [ 3 Answers ]

I am 25 and my husband and I have decided to start a family. I have been on BC for about 2 years, not consistently taking them as I would forget. I would always make them up as stated in the directions in the pill package. Anyway, I have been off for about a month or so. I had my period at the...

Determine if well has run dry [ 1 Answers ]

How do you determine if your well has run dry

View more questions Search