Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbandss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Capital Improvement
    Is having my house painted considered a capital improvement in NY state? Am I required to pay sales tax if I purchase the paint myself? If I buy and install new base moldings to improve the appearance of the room being painted, can this be considered a capital improvement and can I purchase the base molding tax free?:
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Oct 18, 2009, 07:31 AM

Repainting your property inside or, fixing gutters or floors, fixing leaks, plastering, and replacing broken windows are examples of repairs.

If you make repairs as part of an extensive remodeling or restoration of your property, the whole job is an improvement. In that case, you should capitalize and depreciate the repair costs as the same class of property that you have restored or remodeled as discussed above.

Oct 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Thanks for your input.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 18, 2009, 10:04 PM

On a house property, unless it is rented, cost of improvements increase your cost basis. No depreciation or deduction for repairs in available on home property.

Oct 19, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Thanks for your input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Budgeting. Cost of Capital. Cash Flow NPV [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, This is really URGENT!! NEEDED BY THURSDAY NOON I tried to do this myself but just couldn’t find where to start. Any help would be very much appreciated. CAPITAL BUDGETING TECHNIQUES. This question is based on a case study in Fundamentals of corporate finance 4ed. Ross,...

Sales tax on capital improvement [ 5 Answers ]

First of all, I live in the state of NY. We have had contractors do work that would constitute as capital improvement (windows, boiler, plumbing not related to a repair). One of them charged me sales tax. I looked on the government's website and it stated that if you fill out the form you are not...

Importance of keeping paid in capital separate from earned capital [ 2 Answers ]

In all of the reading I've done, it has described what paid in capital is and what earned capital is. However, I can't seem to find anything specific about why it is important to keep them separate. My guess it that Paid in Capital is money that is used in the operations of the business and are to...

Capital Budgeting and opportunity cost of capital [ 1 Answers ]

Wiley Co. is considering an investment of $200,000 in a project with a 5 year economic life. After tax net income from the project has been calculated at $22,00 per year including a deduction for depreciation of $30,000 per year. The residual or salvage value at the end of 5 years is $50,000....

View more questions Search