Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1024meme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Locked away years after rights signed over
    If a child abandoment warrant has been filed on someone that has sign over his right when the mother was dying what does this mean?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 10:54 AM

Warrants never die - if there was a active/open warrant then, there's a active/open warrant now.

Is that what you are asking?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2009, 01:10 PM

Im not sure of the timing on this. Was the warrant issued before or after the signing over of rights and was it done in court ?
    1024meme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 02:18 PM

The warrant was issued years after signing over the rights.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1024meme View Post
    The warrant was issued years after signing over the rights.
    If that is the case then like Judy had said the warrant may still be out there and in force until its resolved. They need to bring the paperwork with them and show caus why the warrant was issued inproperly. All charges should be dropped and it be behind you at that point.

You can't charge someone with something they have no responsibility for. So long as it went through the courts and their rights were relinquished. If they just signed a paper and think that's good enough that's not how the law works and its still best to step forward and co-operate to get this done.
    JanddredLaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 03:51 PM

When you say "signed over his rights" do you mean it was entered as a court order, signed by a judge? If not, and the guy just signed a paper, the paper means nothing and he is still the legal father. Lots of people think they can just decide not to be the parent of a child, but it is a legal matter and must go through the courts.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2009, 03:57 PM

We need some more details here. We need to know the circumstances of signing over rights. We need to know the reason for the warrant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2009, 05:31 PM

Yes since normally you can't just sign over your rights, how did that happen. But you will have to appear in court on the warrant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I do If I signed away my rights and now I want her? [ 3 Answers ]

I signed my baby over to an adoption agency yesterday. Today I realized it was a mistake. The agency said it's too late, the baby belongs to them. Is there anything I can do?

Husband signed off rights 11 years ago for adoption. [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I are in a legal mess. He signed off rights to his son eleven years ago so that the step father could adopt. Now in December 07 he received a summons to court for child support. Apparently the adoption never went through, she got divorced and now wants support. He is already paying...

I have a 15 month old and dad hasn't seen her, I want parental rights signed over,how [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 month old baby girl, and her biolgical father hasn't seen her ever, he lives in another state, and just started paying child support to the state, and I don't see a dime of it, due to me being on state assistance at the moment, soon to be changing. I have full legal custody of her, and...

How to go about getting rights signed over [ 3 Answers ]

I have been with a girl who has a 2 year old son and I want rights of him. His bio father does nothing for him or even attemps to see him. Its hurts me knowing that someone else made him but I'm the one there fathering him. I've been with this girl for a about 2 years and we are engaged to be...

View more questions Search