Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Difference between ER and urgent care?
    I wasn't sure what the most appropriate place for this question would be. So hopefully this is it.

This is the third say I've had a fever. With tylenol it stays at about 99.1. once the tylenol wears off its gets up to about 100.2 and I take more tylenol. So it's not too high but it's also not going away. I have an awful cough. It hurts to cough, my head hurts, my chest hurts, everything hurts when I do. My ears hurt. And my nose is stuffy. And my workplace is pretty much being wiped out with what everyone has so far referred to as "a nasty bug."

I tried calling my dr's office to get in but was only told that they're closed on the weekends and there is no on-call dr that I can see but I can go to urgent care. But what's the difference between the emergency room and urgent care? Last time I went to the emergency room I sat there for 6 hours because by the time I got there I'd finally stopped bleeding. And it's in a bad part of town so I'd rather not go there again. But is urgent care different? Because if it is, then I may be able to find one closer to home.
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Oct 17, 2009, 10:42 AM

I'd prefer to always use an ER as the resources are there but that's not the best use of our medical system. So, in a nutshell:

An emergency room is just that, a place to go for an emergency. If you're bleeding severely, can't breath, have extreme pain, or any life threatening condition, then that is where you should be.

Urgent care is for when you're not feeling well but it is not life or death. You may feel like crap but if you're tolerating it, you'll do fine.

From your symptoms, urgent care is the most appropriate place for you to go.

The biggest problem in the US healthcare system is a lack of urgent care facilities. That is why our ER's are overloaded.
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 12:14 PM

Yes. After calling around for an hour, I finally found someplace in my area that actually accepts my insurance. Stupid hmo's...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2009, 12:16 PM
    I have nothing to add to what Dan said. However, you should be alternating Tylenol and Motrin for the most effective fever reducer. Tylenol... 2 hours later Motrin... 2 hours later Tylenol and so on.

But, remember, with a virus, which it sounds like you have, fever is your friend. Viruses cannot outlast prolonged periods of heat, i.e. fever, so fever actually kills the virus faster. By reducing the fever, the virus lasts longer.
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 02:59 PM

OK. Good to know, thank you
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:24 PM

So, the dr recommended a netti pot and mucinex dm. so I'm not coughing so much. And I can mostly breath again. But my ears still hurt. Any tips on making that go away? I'd already taken tylenol before j_9 suggested letting the fever stay. But it's not helping the pain.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2009, 12:00 AM
    Alernate the Tylenol and Motrin for the pain. Get rid of the pain, don't worry about the fever right now. Also, for the ears you can try alternating Sudofed and Benadryl to help dry you up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health care & home care [ 2 Answers ]

How do I set up health care & Home care agency?

My nephews are in foster care and I want to care for them myself. [ 5 Answers ]

My nephews are in foster care and their mam,my sister has recently died.my mam has recently been denied kinship of the children,and I'm putting myself forward to care for them.what are my chances against social services.

Is Microsoft One care or care one any good? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had the Internet antivirus pro VIRUS and decided to download MSOne Care. Is it any better than MacAfee or any others?

Care values of care workers when communicating [ 1 Answers ]

health and social care help :confused: can someone tell me how to promote anti-discrimination to recognise cultural differences to acknowledge service users personal beliefs and identities r care values of care workers when communicating in their day-to-day tasks :confused:

Depende care claim from FSA for dependent care [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, I started to work in a company from last November. My FSA for dependent care was set up in Feburary( 3 months waiting period from company policy), may I claim the dependent care incurred in January? I worked full time in January in this company. Thank you.

View more questions Search