Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    454Malibu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Safe to use 2 different wire sizes on receptacle?
    I have a #10-2 wire running to my garage for the overhead light. All that is on this line is the overhead. I want to remove the light that is there now and replace with several T8 tubes that have cords. At the line in (old light fixture) I want to install a 15a receptical and then to 2 more recepticles. My ? Is, is it safe to tie one side of 1st. Receptacle to #10-2 and the other side to #12-2 and then to 2nd and 3rd repticle?
    Thanks for any help
    John
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 10:06 AM

10's is overkill, Good to reduce Voltage drop, with #12, it needs to be on a 20 Amp circuit.
    You could have a Quad recepticle/box in the center and plug 4 fixtures into their. Another quad if more lights are desired.

Oct 17, 2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks. The only wire I can access is the one from the switch to the light. The garage is attached and has an open ceilng. Exposed joists. The switch is in the wall and the wire just comes out through a hole in the top stud plate. If I could feed a 12-2 back to the switch, could I come off it and tie the neutral 10-2 and 12-2 together? The switch now is 15a so I thought I should use 15a receptcles. Should they be 20? The switch too?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 01:05 PM

That looks fine.
    You Can use 15 Amp Recepticles and switches, and still have this on a 20 Amp Breaker, with your Number 12 wires.

Oct 17, 2009, 02:29 PM

Thanks bud!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green wire in 110 receptacle? [ 3 Answers ]

On a 5 run outlet, a middle one has black/white/ground and the other is black/white/green. I did not realize the wire was green(it was strip to look like a ground wire). I removed the receptacle and now finding out the green is the hot wire I do not know how to rewire. I think it was pigtailed to...

Wire sizes [ 4 Answers ]

I recently ran 12-3 wire off a 15 amp breaker as a main feed for my 2nd floor, only problem is it connects to 14-3 at the closest junction box to spread out to all the other connections on the 2nd floor. Is this okay? Also I prob. Only had to run 12-2 anyway as there is no other connection between...

Wire sizes [ 16 Answers ]

How do I find out what wize sizes to use for a 100, 150, 200 amps panels?

220 vac 4 wire to 3 prong receptacle [ 4 Answers ]

Where do the 4 220vac wires go in the 3 prong receptacle? This is for a range...

Wire sizes and breaker boxes on main lines [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently adding an addition on to my 100 year old house (which has 50 year old wiring). I only have 100 amp service, but this is enough for now. Here is my plan: From the pole to the addition will be a 100 foot stretch of 4/0 cable. I realize that with 100 amp service I do not need that...

View more questions Search