Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxabella Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 04:48 AM
    Pregnant or just wishing?
    Hi there,

My partner and I have decided to try for a baby, we had sex when I was at my most fertile (numerous times within a 7 day time frame). Four weeks after this I had the cramping that usually results in a period - but no period. I am now up to 5 weeks today and still no sign of a period, I have also done a few HPT but they were negative. I seem to be feeling generally a bit off - a bit of nausea, a bit dizzy every now and then - but that's about it. Have I taken the HPT too early or am I just wishing I was pregnant?
    JessicaLHarmon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 05:10 AM

Once you have sexual intercourse you should wait until 7 days from your next menstrual cycle. Those are all symptoms of pregnancy. Also, headaches, of course your missed period. I would try to not get to anxious about it because that can cause a false negative or positive. Good luck to you and I hope to hear of a little baby on the way soon.

Oct 17, 2009, 05:14 AM

Thanks Jessica, I've heard of women experiencing pregnancy symptoms just because they're quite keen on actually getting pregnant, I thought I was being pretty laid back about it - being a believer that our baby will come us when the time is right. Having said that I just didn't know whether a HPT could still be coming up negative at 4-5 weeks of if I was just jumping the gun so to speak.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:21 AM
    I did a HPT when my period was only 2 days late. As I'm usually on time.
    I saw a faint positive line. 5 days later I did another 2 tests and the positive line wasn't so faint by then.

Oct 17, 2009, 05:23 AM
    Hmm, mine float between 4-5 weeks. I guess if I haven't got my period in another week then I'll do another test - although it's hard to wait! I just want to know one way or the other! :)
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:27 AM

Why wait keep taking them! Who is it going to hurt.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:27 AM
    I know I was the same. However I was told as soon as your pregnant you will have pregnancy hormones released in your body. HCG. If there are no signs of HCG your test will come negative.

Human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) is a hormone produced in pregnancy that is made by the developing embryo soon after conception.
    Early pregnancy testing, in general, is based on the detection or measurement of hCG.
    JessicaLHarmon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Well I know from recent experience they are not cheap lol... Sweetheart, if you are really getting to the point where you cannot wait you might consider going to your PCP and ask them to do a blood pregnancy test. Those are the most accurate. But, I know from experience if I go to my Primary Dr and they do the test and they tell me no it just upsets me. So, sometimes the whole waiting and hoping is a little funner. Please let me know.. Take care sweetheart.

Oct 20, 2009, 07:46 PM

Hi there, well, we're up to day 39 and still no period, I took a HPT yesterday and it's still coming up negative. I seem to be getting these funny (funny weird not funny haha) cramps every few days or so - just like I get before my period... but then... nothing. I think perhaps I'm not pregnant, and I guess the only way to know for sure is to get a blood test. Who thinks I should hold out until day 42 to do this? That will be six weeks and no period then.
    boogiebabie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 01:27 PM
    I would go get a blood or urine test at your doctor's office. It'll put your mind at ease. With my first pregnancy I got a negative test, then went it to the doctor and found out I was pregnant. It doesn't you will be, but home tests are not ALWAYS accurate. It depends on your hcg levels, and mine weren't high enough with my first pregnancy even after my period was late. With my second one, I got a positive before I was late. It just varies person to person and baby to baby. Good luck!
    boogiebabie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 01:28 PM

I just noticed how old this post is. I should've looked at that first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wishing I were blonde again [ 1 Answers ]

My natural hair color is light brown and for many years I have been highlighting my hair. It had gotten pretty long and as you can probably guess kept getting lighter and lighter until I started to look like a bleach blonde with bad roots. My husband suggested I try for a strawberry blonde. ...

Wishing I could have my boys [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out if I have a chance to get my boy's back?I was talked into letting someone adopt my children when I was not stable.

Was I Wishing For Lucas or Luke? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm one of those people who thinks something is a sign, like for instance, I just met this guy at the café I go to every night with my best friend to just hang out and relax. I thought he looked familiar and I thought he was cute. We didn't really talk while I was there until I met this girl and we...

View more questions Search