Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Seeing as how Global Warming isn't happening just yet
    What temperature do you think you will keep your home at this winter?

I've kept my home's temperature at 61-62 degrees for the past few winters and I'm rather comfortable. At least I can wear my sweaters now after spending 25 years in South Florida.

I use this lower temperature to save electric. I just set the thermostat and let it at the same setting day and night.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 02:27 AM

That would be about right. My boiler comes on usually only in the mornings . During the day space heaters are employed as needed .At night I stoke the fireplace... ususally burning about 2 cords a season.
    The weekend we are going to get an early nor'easter here.Guess I'll have to put on rain gear for my hike and lunch at Bear Mountain's Oktoberfest.

BTW it is clear now that we are in a multi-year deep solar minimum... probably the deepest one in the last century .
    In July through August, 51 consecutive days passed without a sunspot, one day short of tying the record of 52 days from the early 1900s.
    As of Sept. 15, the current solar minimum ranks third all-time in the amount of spotless days with 717 since 2004. There have been 206 spotless days in 2009, which is 14th all-time.And there are still 2 1/2 months left in the year.

No one knows how long this could last . Three have been extended periods of solar minimum before . The Maunder Minimum lasted between 1645–1715 .That period is also known as the Little Ice Age. It was not particularly pleasant. Glaciers advanced in the Alps killing whole villages . It was a time of reduced agriculture. The population of Iceland reduced in half . Norse colonies in Greenlnad disappeared .American Indians formed leagues to pool their resources because of scarcity.

If we are going into an extended period of solar minimum... and it certainly appears to be so. We should all agree to call it the Goracle Minimum.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:09 AM

Anything to minimize The Goracle is fine with me. Should be pleasant 68 here today, after last Saturday's record for the coldest high temperature and breaking the day's record low temperature.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Oct 17, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Cold doesn't bother me much as long as there is not too much wind. For home temp, I find 64 about right.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Seeing as how Global Warming isn't happening just yet
    Hi twink:

When it DOES get here, I'm pretty well situated. My house is on high ground. I can't WAIT to step outside and there's the beach.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hi twink:

When it DOES get here, I'm pretty well situated. My house is on high ground. I can't WAIT to step outside and there's the beach.

excon
    But what temp do you keep your home in the winter??
    George Leigh Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Oct 18, 2009, 11:19 AM

Well I built my place with a southern exposure, it's passive solar. It's tucked into a windbreak that it took me 20 years to grow. And we have a lot of native evergreens in the surrounding woods, which are supposed to keep temperatures on the ground about 15 degrees warmer than on open ground with no trees. I throw a nice big log in the woodstove at bedtime and that lasts until dawn. It might get down to 40 degrees at night on a cold one, say minus 10 outdoors, but we are asleep with all the down comforters and cats and dogs piled on the bed. And once I get up and put more wood in the stove to make hot water for coffee, it warms up in there pretty fast. It can be as high as 80 in an hour or two if I don't open the doors and windows.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Hey I don't try to keep my home at a minimum, I run a gas heater than burns continually on a low setting and adjust it if the temp is too low, Some time soon I hope to turn it off, this year a little later maybe November 1. when summer comes for certain I might have to turn on the air con for a few weeks. We certianly have a little ice age going on here and have had for the last couple of years I only used the air con a few times last year

What I don't get is the government lag in realising that things have changed
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 19, 2009, 08:52 AM

About 65 deg. I find that comfortable most nights.

In the daytimes, when nobody is home, I go much lower than that... about 55 deg. Or so.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 19, 2009, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hi twink:

excon
    Dude, if you bought your house expecting it to become beachfront property, you got screwed by your broker. Or your elementary school science teacher. I'm not sure which.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:05 AM

We're huge energy wasters, I couldn't get 65 or less past my wife no way, no how. We're usually a very pleasant 68-72 while at home depending on which part of the house. I do use programmable thermostats so I set it and forget it most of the time.

Regardless, I still love my carbon footprint. :D
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Same here. We boost the heat and open the windows.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:26 AM

I'm always hot. So I haven't even turned my heat on yet and it was cold this weekend. If I am home by myself I don't turn it on. When My wife comes home maybe it goes up to 64.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:31 AM

Hello:

You know, I haven't experienced an earth quake. Maybe plate tectonics is bunk, too.

Ain't science wonderful?

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I'm always hot. So I haven't even turned my heat on yet and it was cold this weekend. If I am home by myself I don't turn it on. When My wife comes home maybe it goes up to 64.
    What was the temp during the Eagles game yesterday? Oh well the Phillies made up for it. ;)
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:55 AM

What a pitiful display of football. But I have to give the Raiders D some credit they looked like mad men.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
    What a pitiful display of football. But I have to give the Raiders D some credit they looked like mad men.
    You can always take comfort in the fact that the Skins lost to KC and the Saints made the Giants look positively average. And you could always be a Titans fan...
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 10:09 AM

It was an all round bad Sunday for the NFC East. I'm sure your happy the Cowboys had the day off!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 10:22 AM
    It was an all round bad Sunday for the NFC East. I'm sure your happy the Cowboys had the day off!!!!
    Yeah, at least they didn't lose yesterday
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Same here. We boost the heat and open the windows.
    NK please keep your windows open and the furnace cranked on high this winter. That will definitely make a huge difference in how cold it won't get here in Downtown Ohio. Try to aim that warmed air towards my house, OK? I'd sure appreciate it. Maybe use a huge fan or blower system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I believe in global warming now [ 5 Answers ]

My backyard in NJ on October 15, 2009. Notice how the trees haven't finished changing yet?

Global warming [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, does anyone know a good website to find info on global warming that isn't man-made?? Thank you..

Global Warming? [ 2 Answers ]

Only in Arkansas... how this got past the editor, I can only venture to guess... 4519

Global warming [ 14 Answers ]

Why arnt we putting all of our power into this situation I mean countries are going to be under waterrr... and mostly in europe I am really worried and our tempratures are hanging in many parts of earth and we are having a lot of hurricanes and such... so we arnt we putting all our mind into this.....

Benefits of global warming [ 26 Answers ]

Anyone catch this article a few days ago? But don't get excited... Like the scientists I'm still trying to figure this out. We could see both increased agricultural production and "planet-wide food" shortages, and both "mass flooding" with "planet-wide" water shortages. I wish...

View more questions Search