Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
    What exactly is legal tender?
    My concept of legal tender is that when it is offered as payment, it cannot by law be refused in settlement of a debt, and have the debt remain in force. The U.S. Federal Reserve notes in my wallet state "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." If so, how is it then that some businesses are able to refuse accepting cash as payment, car rental for instance? Is this scenario instead considered an invitation to treat and the debt has not actually been incurred and therefore the business is under no obligation to accept payment by cash?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:38 PM

If you rent a car, and something happens to it or you don't return it, or something like that, would the company be able to charge you for it? Since they have your credit card number? Is it like a safety for them? That's the only thing I can think of
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:51 PM
    I think it may be for the safety of their offices so they don't have large amounts of cash on the premises as I doubt the average Joe has a card limit sufficient to cover the cost of the entire vehicle in the event it isn't returned. I understand the risks and additional precautions a business must take to accept cash but I'm wondering how/why refusing to accept cash is legal.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:58 PM

Hm. That makes sense.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Can stores really decide which legal tender they will accept? - Yahoo! Answers

OK, this is from another question and answer site. But it's quoting from what appears to be a legit site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Value of 1862 One Dollar Legal Tender [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1862 one dollar, series 268 40617 in excellent condition. I would like to know the value and where to go to find collectors interested. Thank you. value of 1862 one dollar series 268 40617

Tender boobs [ 2 Answers ]

For the past week, I've had tender boobs, I'm not sure if I'm due on or not, but I don't usually get sore boobs, so bit weird. I also had a really bad stomach on Sunday, it was rumbling most off the day and really hurt, I thought it was the start gastroenturitus as I've had this before. But by...

Tender Breast [ 2 Answers ]

For a few days my breast have been very tender and my nipples feel quite soar, I am not due on my period as I have not had one for 1 year and six months due to having the injection contraception. It has been 6 months now since I have not been on the contraception and I was wondering whether this...

I'm 14, itchy, tender, dry? [ 36 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 14 year old girl who has only had sex twice, this was about 4 months ago, I haven't had any sexual activity for about a month and a half now. I wear cotton underwear and I keep myself very well clean. Just 3 days ago I went to take a shower and I used a different soap, and I cleaned my...

Cash as legal tender [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can a merchant in the United States refuse to accept cash as payment? I'm not talking about a bag of pennies, but cash in reasonable denominations. For example, many hotels seem to have a policy declining cash. Is this legal? Also if you sign a lease, it likely contains a provision that...

View more questions Search