Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psanta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 09:29 PM
    Eviction of boyfriend
    How do I evict a boyfriend and get a restraining order at the same time
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2009, 11:32 PM

You are going to need to go to your local court for both. Ask the court clerk what paperwork you need to file. You are also going to need reasons for doing both (Like police reports filed againast him?). Somebody else with some experience in this area might have more suggestions. You might get some help from the stickied threads at the top on this and other law forums, plus searching threads similar to yours.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 12:01 AM
    Hello P,

Check your local and state tenant laws before proceeding. Every state and/or jurisdiction has a set of laws that pertain to the rights of tenants. You need to know what they are, to avoid the risk of a lawsuit for unlawfully forcing your boyfriend to evacuate your apartment or house.

Also see if you can get help from your landlord. If your boyfriends name is also on your apartment lease, he technically has equal standing with you, and only the landlord has the actual authority to evict a tenant. Communicating with your landlord will also be beneficial. If, however, you can persuade your landlord that your boyfriend refuses to pay his part of the rent presents a danger to you or has violated the terms of the lease agreement, the landlord may consider removing your roommate's name from the lease and evicting him.

Go to court and get an order of protection against your roommate if he has attacked you physically or threatened your life. Once a restraining order has been issued against your boyfriend , he must stay a designated distance away from you, and can be forced to keep away from your apartment or house. This is just a short fix, though, and only enforceable for a matter of weeks. If you still feel that you are in danger, once that time passes, you will need to go back to court to find out if you can get another order of protection against him.

There are certain steps that you will need to take while doing this. Every state is different. You should speak to your landlord first. I wish you luck..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 06:13 AM

What State?

These are two different actions although in some States if you get an Protective Order it's an automatic eviction.

In other States you get the Order and then evict.

It's important to know where you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of ex-boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

MY now ex-boyfriend was arrested and removed from my home 2 months ago. His personal property was collected by his nephew a week after his arrest. There is still furniture that belongs to this guy, but he is unable to personally collect it because of a no-contact personal protection order by the...

Boyfriend eviction [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I moved into his grandmother's home two years ago with the intent to buy eventually. When we could not buy the house due to credit, his father bought the house and has allowed us to live there for the last three months for 200.00 a month. My boyfriend and I got into a fight and he...

Eviction from boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

I was living with my fiancé for 4 years and he has evicted me but will not allow me to get my things that I bought out of the house when he evicted me I wasn't living there.

Boyfriend eviction [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend lives with me. He does not pay any bills, he does not get any mail and his name is not on anything regarding my house. We started living together and he was in and out trying to work on our relationship. He decided 5 weeks ago now that he was leaving at which time he said he would be...

Boyfriend Eviction [ 5 Answers ]

I own my own home, my b/f has lived with me since 06/95. There is no lease or written agreement between us regarding payment of rent etc. He has paid the monthly bills incurred and occasionally part of the property tax. The relationship has gone bad and I asked him to leave. Do I have to serve...

View more questions Search