Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naurto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Help with suit over debt
    Need some helpful information I got a letter today in the mail for summons of continuing garnishment its not sign or anything yet it's a defendant copy I was wondering on approaching this situation I originally owe my credit card company $700 and now after economic downturn I was unable to pay my bills and get behind on payments so it's $1600 I was wondering what are my options I'm willing to pay that $700 but since they already have a amount claim due on judgment for $1600 I was wondering is there still a way to make a deal with the debt collector or should I approach the credit card company myself just need some useful information or help or ideas?
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2009, 06:56 PM

a) You shouldn't piggyback on someone else's thread, but start your own separate thread. Mods might move this to its own thread. b) Are you planning on paying the $700 at at once? You might be able to work out a deal to pay less, if you can pay off in a large amount.

But I think it might be too late for you, as it sounds like debt collector already obtained a judgment, and they are now collecting on that. It's too late to do anything with original creditor, they assigned or sold your debt to the collection agency, and have no interest in working anything out with you. Your chance to work it out with them, was before they sold/assigned the debt. If you have income and/or assets, the debt collector will wait out on collecting the entire judgment. Your time to work out a deal to pay less, was [U]before[/U they took you to court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2009, 07:28 PM

{Thread moved}

The first thing you need to determine is if this is a real summons or just a dunning letter. Does it list a court and docket number?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CC debt law suit [ 7 Answers ]

My wife if being sued by a cc collection company. She owes about 1800.00 and we just don't have any extra money right now being that I'm the only one working. She went to court already one time and they gave her another court date now they are sending all this other paperwork and I'm unsure of...

Response for credit debt buyers suit [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons from our county sheriff{Pennsylvania } saying I was being sued by Atlantic credit.Atlantic bought a charged off loan from a credit card company and say I owe them $20,000. I have several questions Id like answered please: 1st. How exactly do I respond to the court by filing a...

Cival suit for credit card debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I live in NC. Long story , but my wife owes 18,000 to a cc company that has now suing. We got the cival summons from the sherrif yesterday. Before anyone says anything, like get another job, that's what you get or to bad. All I want is information about the best way to proceed...

Mother served with papers for suit over debt [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is 64 and owes about $30K in credit card debt. She currently works at a $7 per hour job to bring in some money to help pay the mortgage. She and my father are both on SS, my father is in late stages of COPD with great difficulty breathing. My mother suffers from vertigo, the doctor...

View more questions Search