Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdumere Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Rabbit/Guineapig Mating
    Yesterday I witnessed my male rabbit mating with my female guineapig. It was a big surprise. Their mating was very similar to that of cats. The rabbit was holding guineas head by his teeth while mating. Anyone know if this will be a successful crossing of species?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:51 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...eed-76185.html
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:54 PM

DNA is not the same... no
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 07:04 PM

A rabbit and a guinea pig mating would be like a human and an ape mating, it's not possible.

They are similar in a lot of ways, they can live together harmoniously, most of the time, but they cannot breed.

I do have to say this, spaying and neutering is possible and recommended for rabbits. It not only prolongs their lives but it makes them easier to handle and more pleasant. It's not that expensive and it will make for a healthier and happier pet.

I'm not sure if Guinea pigs can be spayed or neutered but I can't see why not.

Talk to your vet. This behavior may lead to problems down the road, best to get it under wraps now. :)
    jdumere Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 09:49 PM
    Thanks for your replies. One more thing tho'. Why the action between them that I witnessed. It has left me amazed, thinking perhaps nature was sending out another branch of her tree.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdumere View Post
    Thanks for your replies. One more thing tho'. Why the action between them that I witnessed. It has left me amazed, thinking perhaps nature was sending out another branch of her tree.
    The rabbit humped the Guinea pig, right?

Have you ever seen a dog hump someone's leg, or hump a cat or another animal?

Rabbits are sexual animals, that's why we joke about "breeding like rabbits". If they're not neutered they will hump anything that's available when the mood strikes. In this case it was the guinea pig.

Neutering your rabbit will help.

No, nature wasn't sending out another branch of her tree, these two animals aren't even in the same forest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

Unwanted mating [ 5 Answers ]

I think the male yorkie I'm babysitting has mated with my female chihuhua. I had them separated but when I came home, they came to the door to see me. I don't know how he got out of his pen or even if they mated (she is in heat). Does anyone know what my options are? I don't want her to have...

Guineapig Lice - Seriousness [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I acquired a 2 and a half year old guinea pig who's sister had died. I was initially worried she had a parasite infestation and today after checking her over I can confirm she has static lice. I am obtaining some insecticidal shampoo immediately but I fear this is the reason why her...

Dogs mating twice and having 2 litters [ 2 Answers ]

My dog recently had puppies and what is the probability that she got mated twice and the bigger puppies are from the first time she was inpregnated and the smaller puppies are from the second time 2 weeks later?

My neutered dog is mating! [ 2 Answers ]

Holy cow, what a week with the animals. A few months ago I took in a little stray, wild dog who was abandoned when her former "owners" (ha ha) moved away. She's come into heat. Yesterday I go outside to find my male NEUTERED dog tied to her. Today, same thing. My vet assures me he's shooting...

View more questions Search