Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abe123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Will companies hire a worker they fired previously?
    I was fired from a job few years ago and I recently learned the same position is open now. Since the main reason I got fired was mainly for missing work one too many days, and now I have that issue taken care of, I believe I will be the best candidate for the position (having knowledge of their product, processes, and skills). Will any company might consider hiring back a candidate who was fired previously for the same position? If so... what is the best way to initiate/show an interest in the position? Contacting HR or Hiring manager?

Thank you in advance for any advise I get.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 07:37 PM

I doubt they will since more than likely they will look up to see why you were discharged and then figure out sure you may have changed but do we really want to take that risk now when we can hire so and so who performed outstanding attendance at their last job instead. Sure they will hire the other person and skip you over.

You have learned a valuable lesson in life and holding a job. Don't take any days off unless you're dead or semi dead. Companies just don't like folks who can't bother to show up for work regardless of the problem. You are there to work, not give excuses why you can't show up. Sick kids, etc. Companies just really don't care. Sorry to be so blunt but I've worked in offices over 40 years and I know when a person is constantly out or has too many doctor or dentist appointments either for themselves or their kids where they must miss a lot of work - it does not go over well with a company and they will happily hire someone else who does not have such personal problems that the company has to deal with.

Only in rare, very rare cases, does a company rehire someone after they've been canned.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 07:41 PM

Twinkie's probably right. But I don't see any harm in at least applying if you need a job. I had a co-worker that got fired for the same reason. And he went to another store, same company, later and got re-hired. But, getting re-hired in a grocery store may be, and probably is, very different than the job you're applying for.

Oct 16, 2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks for you're inputs twinkie and just. I am optimistic about it.

Life lesson #98: whatever you do, don't get fired and burn bridges. One mishap can derail your career more than you thing. Longer than you think.

Life lesson #99: pressure can bring the best out of people (as carbon under immense pressure is diamond or gold is purified by fire).

May be I should write a book under the title "1001 life lessons" and forget about the job :) nope, I'm at 99 I have a long ways to go
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 01:23 PM

While I doubt it, you never know, I have "left" a company on bad terms but because I was so good at the job, they latter hired me back anyway. After a stern talking to.

But you will need to really sell yourself, why you can do the job, that you are already trained to do the job, how you will be good for them, and that you have fixed the problem, maybe even some written recommendations from places you have worked since showing you don't miss

Oct 16, 2009, 05:49 PM

I have no doubt I will do a better job than most new hires. I can write down the sequences of processes, bill of materials, and equipments needed for their "bread and butter" products lines. Regardless how competent the new candidate might be there will always be a learning cuve as the that person get familiarizer with company culture, product, processes and what not. In the contrary I can pick up where I left off from day-1. It will be a bit awkward but the bottom line is bottom line.
    hindlist Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2009, 03:38 AM

First of all make a list of points for the reason you have been fired. If you are confident that you have over come with that then explain them the difference of then and now. Then if the HR manager is good then he might at least give you an opportunity for some time. In that period you prove yourself. Good luck

Oct 24, 2009, 12:48 AM

Follow up - sent email to hiring manager and have not gotten back a response. So the answer in this case seems to be NO.
    CorpAmerica101 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2009, 07:30 PM

Do you know anyone inside the company that you can use as a reference? Someone who maybe knows your situation and can put in a good word for you? That might be one way to move forward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Know any Trucking Companies that hire felons? [ 14 Answers ]

I keep hearing there are truck driving jibs for ex-cons but where are they?

Truck companies that hire felons [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a truck driver company that hire ex-cons. Do you know of any companies?

Setting up care worker or support worker agency [ 5 Answers ]

I will like to know the requirements for setting up care worker or support worker agency. Thanks

View more questions Search