Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 08:11 AM
    I'm scared
    Hello:

Well, there I was watching America's Test Kitchen... They were testing steak, and they had a couple of high end specialty steaks in the competition... The tester said there was ONE steak that was head and shoulders above the rest... It was also the most expensive...

I bought some, and I'm about to cook one. What I'm afraid of, is I'll either be addicted to high end expensive steak, or I'm a complete fool.

How much, you ask, did I pay for these, one of a kind, once in a lifetime steaks?? $100/lb - but shipping was free.

If I don't report back, you'll know that I'm a complete idiot.

excon
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
    America's Test Kitchen can be pure evil when it comes to temptation. Almost as bad the Food Network.

I hope the steak is worth it. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 09:11 AM

Last meal?
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 09:19 AM

Oh I'm so curious to find out if it was worth it! Thank's for being the guinea pig excon! :D
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 09:38 AM

Hello again:

Save your money. It sucked.

excon
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 10:25 AM
    Sorry.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Save your money. It sucked.

excon

Sucker.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 10:56 AM

Look on the bright side, you "stimulated the economy" by spending money.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 11:05 AM

That does suck. Sorry to hear that Ex.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 11:08 AM

Hello again, spit:

Thanks, Spit, but it ain't no big deal.. I can afford it. I went for the gold ring. If you don't, you'll NEVER grab it. I've lived my whole LIFE doing that. I don't regret a thing (ceptin maybe this steak).

excon
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 11:17 AM

I hear you my good man. I have wasted a ton of money on top of the line purchases. Some were worth it some not so much!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 12:18 PM
    I don't believe that I caught the name of the steak (cut of meat) that you wasted your money on?

Share please:rolleyes:
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 01:57 PM

Hi Dahlia:

These were porterhouses from Brandt Beef.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:22 PM

Exie - You need to try Angus Beef. Yummy! Not that expensive either. Only one problem I forsee for you is that it's not available out there in Washlincoln State! It's in over abundance here in Ohiosucks state!

That is the ONLY reason I like living in this goshdarnedforsaken place - the Angus Beef. Other than that - nothing.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, spit:

Thanks, Spit, but it ain't no big deal.. I can afford it. I went for the gold ring. If you don't, you'll NEVER grab it. I've lived my whole LIFE doing that. I don't regret a thing (ceptin maybe this steak).

excon
    You can afford it ,cool!
    Next time fly me in and I will show you how it is done!

You can still take the meat and cut it up and make a stew.
    Baby carrots,mushrooms,onions.beef broth.
    Brown your fresh mushrooms well in salt pepper and garlic,until brown.
    Cut your meat in to chunks,add the shrooms and a whole onion.Or nuke your onions and then throw them in.
    Cook that and then put it in a pot with beef broth,cook again at least an hour.Carrots go in first.
    If you don't know how to do gravy add 2 cans of store bought at the very end.
    It is salvageable.
    Add ambiance :)
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 16, 2009, 06:47 PM

Can you call or write them to complain? I have done this once or twice and have been compensated.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:51 PM

For that price you could have gotten Kobi beef
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 04:13 AM

I had noidea that they were treated poorly. Thankfuly, I do not eat beef.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
    What's up with Kobi? I have heard nothing except good, but big $$$:confused:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 05:14 AM

History

The Wagyu cattle that produce the highly prized meat were introduced into Japan in the second century as work animals, used in rice cultivation. The mountainous topography of the islands of Japan resulted in small regions of isolated breeding, yielding herds that developed and maintained qualities in their meat that differ significantly from all other breeds of cattle. Resulting herd isolation and the distinctive feeding techniques put in place because of the limited land availability have lead to distinguishing features that make the meat both superior in marbling and in the ratios of unsaturated versus saturated fats.

"Kobe-style" beef
    Main article: Wagyu

The massive increase in popularity of Kobe beef in the United States has led to the creation of "Kobe-style" beef, taken from domestically-raised Wagyu crossbred with Angus cattle, in order to meet the demand. Farms in America and Britain have attempted to replicate the Kobe traditions, providing their Wagyu herds beer and daily massages with warm sake.[10] U.S meat producers claim that any differences between their less expensive "Kobe-style" beef and true Kobe beef are largely cosmetic.[11] The cattle are fed American and/or British grass and grain, which is different from the more expensive Japanese feed.[7] Cuts of American "Kobe-style" beef tend to have darker meat and bolder flavor.[12]

After all beef imports into Japan from the USA were banned on September 10, 2001, due to the discovery of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as Mad-Cow Disease (MCD),[13] many retailers began to heavily market the U.S. raised beef as "Kobe-style". The ban on the import of Wagyu beef from the United States ended on December 12, 2005.[14]

Kobe beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm so scared what do I do? [ 43 Answers ]

Entire story merged Okay me and my boo have been having problems and I wanted to break it off with him because I have been feeling like this for so long and when I found that he was capable of cheating that really brought it all home. So I decided to talk to him and I told him Monday that I was...

My ex is scared of me [ 2 Answers ]

OK here is my problem. My girlfriend just broke up with me after three years of dating. I love her more then anything and I know she feels the same way. But we both have broken eachother's hearts in the past. Now she is says she is scared of me. (Not like I will hit her but she is worried that I...

I'm Scared [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a teenage girl and have not been tested but I see these bumps on the inside of my vaginal area. They are not hard and they don't smell and don't itch. What are they? I don't want an STD

I'm 14, gay, not out and scared [ 14 Answers ]

I'm 14. I'm not anything like anybody I know. I have a 'spiritual' side to me, I like looking at nature and life and things, but nobody knows that part of me. And I'm gay and fully to terms with it. I am who I am and I've accepted that! However, I'm terrified of coming out to anyone, I'm a very...

Scared down there [ 3 Answers ]

I got hemorroids 12 yrs ago giving birth. I take meds that constipate me a lot. I am HORRIFIFED I have a HUGE ONE AND MY PANTIES ARE FULLL OF BLOOD. What do I do?? Thanks

View more questions Search