Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolynwhite999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 07:58 AM
    To crown or not to crown
    I had a large piece of my rear top left tooth break off while eating. I've heard there are other ways to repair broken teeth such as laser with a cement. I'd rather not get a very expensive crown. Can another procedure other than a crown repair a broken tooth that is less expensive?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 15, 2009, 08:05 AM

I broke a tooth several months ago and since it was the weekend, I found some DIY tooth cement at the pharmacy.

Its like putty that you push into the space that helps keep out bacteria, etc. until you can be seen. I later received a crown.

I suggest going to the dentist. He won't do the crown until he's seen the damage. At that point you can ask about options, rather than a crown, and see what he has to say. If nothing else, they can give you a quote for the procedure. Remember, you don't have to have the crown done, but it might be wise to have him make sure the break isn't near a nerve, root, etc.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Oct 15, 2009, 01:36 PM

You could just get another big filling to repair the damage. but it may break again
    carolynwhite999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 11:15 AM

I went to the dentist and he gave me 2 choices. To add a new filling stabilized by a pin or a crown. Difference in $$$ was lots. I chose the new filling. :)
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Carolyn,
    Just remember, the larger the filling the weaker the tooth becomes. You will eventually need to crown the tooth - start saving now! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown vs. Post crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with a dental office I recently began visiting. Two dentists are at the site (one is retiring) and one recommends one thing, then when I sit in the chair to get the work done the other dentist comes in and recommends something completely different. I am going to...

Should I pay for my new crown? [ 2 Answers ]

I went to my dentist last May 14 and told me that I need a crown on my upper molar inorder that he can save it having root canal. That tooth never bothers me, it never gave me aches and pains, but accdg to my dentist the x-ray shows I need a crown to save it. So, I agree. After the crown was put,...

Do I need a new crown? [ 1 Answers ]

I had to change dentists because my old dentist went out of business. This new dentist wants me to get a new crown. It is fricking $800 out of my pocket. Can someone look at the X-ray and help me determine if I need a new crown?

Crown Lengething .how long before crown put on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding crown lengething. I had the procedure done when I had my wisdom teeth removed on a back molar and a temporary was placed on that tooth. Due to insurance issues I was not able to get the perminate till after the new year. How long does it take for the area to heal and...

Can someone tell me about a crown? [ 5 Answers ]

When is it necessary to get a crown?

View more questions Search