Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktjdt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Access to small claims records
    I am being counter sued by a landlord as a result of filing a claim to get my security deposit back. Information I have received from previous tenants leads me to believe this landlord has a pattern of countersuing tenants who have done this in the past many times. Is there a way I can access how many times this particular landlord has had claims filed against him in small claims courts, if he has always countersued, and what the outcomes were? This is in the City of Buffalo, NY.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2009, 07:06 PM

Court records are generally public information. But you will probably have to go to the court clerk to get the info.
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 14, 2009, 09:47 PM

In MD Summaries can be searched online, from the Maryland Judiciary website. You might want to see if NY has something similar. A Summary will provide outlines of case histories, while transcripts give more specific details. Generally what you want to know, can be found in a summary outline. Since MD has this service available, I would imagine other states do as well, but only you can find that out for sure. If you can't find the website, if there is one, the county courthouse clerk can probably direct you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 05:40 AM

Hello kt:

Although it might be interesting information, you won't be able to bring it up in court. How many times he's been sued, done the suing, or for that matter, how many times he's been convicted of murder, is irrelevant to your lawsuit, and the judge won't let it in.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2009, 06:13 AM

I was thinking the same thing as excon after I responded. The thing is, if this is small claims or housing court, the rules may be more relaxed and a judge MAY listen.

But if you have no proof to deny his counterclaim, that won't matter. The key to your winning is to prove your claim and disprove his.
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2009, 10:18 AM

I got the impression that the OP wanted the information to verify what was said by the previous tenants, and to see if the landlord was usually successful with these countersuits when they did occur. Might not be of help in the OP's actual hearing, but at least they know what they might be dealing with. Knowing what to expect from this landlord, might help OP to better prepare their own case in winning their claim.

I am considering sueing my landlord due to exposure to mold, and failure to address the faulty plumbing issue that created the mold problem. I did indeed search MD court records, under the 3 different names used by them, to see if they had any history. It won't help my case, but it shows what I'm up against. Currently, there are 3 torts and 1 personal injury case active, and several closed cases. Some of the closed ones resulted in some pretty hefty judgments for the Plaintifs.

I also noted that my landlord was sued for breach of contract by a number of different providers of services, which they mostly won as the Defendants. Mostly housekeeping, landscaping & grounds upkeep, maintenance services, trash removal and snow removal. These change constantly, as many are hired based on bid submissions, and others replaced due to inadequate service provisions. I figured that the ones who lost the contract were disgruntled, and sued landlord claiming contract was not fulfilled.

Interesting? Yes, the tort/personal injury cases for sure. Relevant to my case, not necessarily. But knowing the kinds of things they have been sued for, and the history of the law firm they retain (as you can look up cases represented by that law firm's attorneys) can be reasuring when considering filing a claim against them. If OP should find that landlord has a history of countersueing, but is rarely successful in winning these cases, it can ease their mind regarding the former tenants allegations. Knowing that landlord has been more successful than not, in winning the counterclaims, would let OP know that they need to be sure they have a strong case in proving their claim, while disproving the landlords'.

As they say, knowledge is power. Use it to your advantage when you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access to Cell Phone Records? [ 13 Answers ]

I found out a few days ago, informally meaning not by the police or a summons or anything, that I am being accused of prank calling someone (whom I don't even know) multiple times over the past few months. This person is claiming that the police gave them a copy of my cell phone records after they...

Free access to birth and death records [ 4 Answers ]

How can I access public records such as birth, death, marriage, divorce etc. in the state Of Illinois, via my computer, without having to pay. Is this information available for free For those with computer savvy ?

Can my ex-husband's wife access my med records? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I just recently found out, which I had suspected all along, that my ex-husband's new wife was accessing my medical records. She had access to these records because she works at the hospital that I was a patient at. She is an oncology nurse and has no reason to be accessing my records but...

How to Get Access to my Genealogical Records [ 4 Answers ]

When Family Treemaker was fairly new, I bought one, installed it and proceeded to post my family info on its site. I continued to add to it as I learned new information. Now, it has Become a part of ancestry.com. I was a member of ancestry.com for about 3 years in a row and they just got too...

Access to parole records [ 3 Answers ]

Who has access to parole records? What exactly is in the records? And how do I get them?

View more questions Search